Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PINNING CHICKS! it's sounds horrible, I've never heard that before but I'm guessing it means when they start to get those spiky things that open up into feathers, I have no idea what a split is and what on earth is WINGSPOTTING!? :eek:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
LOL Yes, when they start getting their feathers in. The little pointy shafts are called pins. Wing spot sexing is one way used to try and get some idea if your young bird is a girl or a boy, although it isn't always right. On the underside of the wings there are spots. If the spots run from the tip of the wing all the way to the body then most likely a girl. If only half way, then boy. Splits are somewhat hidden genes in birds. Some types have little clues such as a spot or two of either white or yellow on a bird might mean they are split to pied (one style of cockatiel) or if they breed and have babies that don't look like them they can be split to another style of cockatiel. It's all confusing at times, but very interesting!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks , I kinda understand now. And I think I'll probably find myself talking with all these words oneday and understand every Single one, but not yet! :)
Is there any others you think I won't understand?Id rather know now and ovoid posting another embarrassing thread :blush:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Ask any questions on here that you have. Nothing is embarrassing! The more informed you are, the better you can care for your bird/s. There is usually someone on that can answer for you or at least tell you where to find the answer. :)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
It does sound horrible! Wow!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts