Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - wondering if anyone has experienced this behavior with their tiels....

So my little guy Peanut has been displaying bizarre behavior in the morning and by that I mean he seems angry with me and flies around like a mad-bird in his cage while I change his food and water. He no longer happily comes out of the cage and if he does, he flies away from me and won't go back in his cage. He also nips every so often at my fingers.

Fast forward to when I come home from work and we are best friends! He calls out to me and paces back and forth to be let out. As soon as I open the cage he flies immediately to my shoulder and begins his ritual of serenading me with whistles and songs...lol. He also begs for scritches by bowing his head or asking for them. He is like this until his bedtime. Come the morning, we are back to unfriendly terms.

Does anyone have thoughts on what might be happening here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes..similar behavior here

My male 'tiel Coco is in a bad mood till before noon, and then becomes a cuddly cutie pie, rest of the day. I felt it was due to insufficient sleeptime, and have tried to give him atleast 12hours of nighttime, but still no change in this pattern.

I believe it's hormonal, and they love to fly around early in the day during the mating season. Them being restrained within a house might be the reason behind the grumpiness. As the day grows, the hormones wane away. That 's the only theory I can deduce from my tiels' behavior. Strangely, it's only the male that does this grumpyScreech-cutieSinging cycle

·
Registered
58 Posts
My tiel is the same way. During winter he would attack me everytime i put my jacket on and about to leave home. He would fly at my face and bite my hands drawing blood.
I started to lock him in his cage before i left home and wore my jacket.
Now that its warm out, he doesnt know when im about to leave so it has stopped, unless i say by stewy lol.
I did change his cage setting and put him on 14 hours of sleep as well. Just incase he wasnt upset im leaving and was hormonal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts