Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this forum a week ago when I was searching for reasons why my normally sweet bird, Spike, suddenly became a sex-crazed vicious little raptor.

Spike is a rescue bird, literally. I found him outside on my patio about 6 weeks ago after hearing weird noises that could have been an injured bird or a squeaky wheel and my 2 budgies would squawk when they heard it. I found him sitting on my gate and when I walked up to him and held out my hand, he jumped right on like he'd been waiting for me. Since I have parakeets, there was food and water already out and he just made himself at home. We checked around to see if anyone reported a missing bird but no one had in our area so after a few days we figured he was our bird now. He was very sweet and cuddly and over the course of about a week, he revealed many talents including a large vocabulary and whistling different tunes. He was very funny and made us laugh a lot. Our budgies, a 9-year old male and 6-year old female, seemed fascinated by this big bird that was at least 4 times their size and they actually have become much happier and calmer birds since he arrived.

Spike's sweet behavior went on for about a month. First he became overly interested in my hand and my mouse and would try to mate with it while I was working on the computer. Then he became obsessed and would try to mate with any inanimate object he could rub up against. He stopped wanting to cuddle and started to try to bite me hard without provocation. When he flew at my face with his talons up like an eagle and his beak open ready to bite, that's when I knew I needed help. I found answers here in a post on hormone control and I immediately started to cover his cage for 12-14 hours a night and had some success but still have to discourage him from trying to mate with anything he can by removing things and blocking off access to hiding places.

We still love him even when he's being bad. He acted like he belonged here from the minute he arrived. We think he's an older bird because he has such a large vocabulary and his whistling is impressive. He's also a very calm bird, very little startles him or scares him. He has a definite personality and gets mad (usually with a reason) and tells me off by standing on my desk in front of me and yelling at me while bobbing his head up and down. I'm glad I found this forum, seems like a lot of good info and advice here. This picture was taken an hour or so after I found him.

Bird Hand Cockatoo Parrot Beak

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
793 Posts
REALLY enjoyed reading your post about Spike! Aside from what sounds like hormonal issues with him, it seems like you have a very impressive and beautiful bird! Thanks for sharing your story with us!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spike has lovely colouring,hope he is being better now,they do have there moments,Hardy mine gets angry and you know it from behaviour if ie Budgies wanting his food.
Bird Black Beak Sky Feather

1 - 3 of 3 Posts