Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll try to make this as concise as I can: my furnace went out, it's likely going to be days (to a week) until it will be repaired. It's going to be in the low 30s this week overnights. I have a tiel :wf lutino:, and I want her to be warm at night.

So, I bought a ceramic lasko heater because I read they are teflon free. I haven't been running it overnight but have been running in the room with her cage while I'm home the last 2 days. However I was reading other forums and on Lasko's FAQ that "We understand that birds are more sensitive than other animals and to our knowledge, Teflon is not found in our products. However, there could be other compounds found in the product that could potentially be harmful to birds. Therefore, we do not recommend the use of our products around birds."

They use "could be" and "potentially" - is that just legalese to protect themselves against being sued? I can't seem to find any actual reports of these heaters making birds sick.
I'm worried now because it's really chilly overnight and I don't want my bird to get sick from the heater or sick from the chill.

Any advise appreciated - sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

I use a DeLonghi oil column heater for my birds. The research I've done on safe heating points to oil column heaters as being the safest. I've never heard of the heater you're using but it sounds like there's no proof it isn't safe.

Do you cover the cage with a warm blanket at night? This, as well as heating, will keep her nice and warm during the chilly season.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts