Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every week or two the landscapers come and freak out all of my poor animals. They take their stupid leafblowers and come RIGHT UP to the doors and windows with them and make both my dogs and my bird think that there's a scary monster outside. Not to mention that a bunch of strange men walking around our backyard with scary, loud monsters freaks them out as well. My two older dogs have gotten used to it, and with my puppy he is soothed by simply being near me, but what can I do for Kirby? His crest goes up, his feathers close in around his neck, and he acts very nervous. He won't let me give him scratches, and I doubt that cuddling him would do anything but make him more frightened. What's the best way to soothe a frightened tiel? I feel so sorry for him :(

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
If you want, you can move him away from the commotion. Other than that, he's just frightened. Being close to him may keep him calmer, but until he gets used to it, he may just act scared.

Mine doesn't really react to things anymore. He's gotten used to giant egrets flying by the windows (we live on a creek), kids running by, windstorms, heavy rain... once he learned it won't hurt him, he was fine with it. It's just desensitization. Honestly, I only come over to any of my birds in a fright when they are thrashing in a panic. I will stay next to them and talk them out of it. I let them know I'm there if they're skinny and crest is up, but they can work through it on their own. Kirby may be getting frightened because he can sense your puppy is frightened as well

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I would close the blinds so he can't see them and turn on the tv loud so the noise blends in... Unless he is also scared of the tv noise, then I guess that wouldn't work.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I would also suggest the tv or some music. Joey is fine with lawnmowers, blenders, drills, electric mixers, thunder, fireworks, tornado sirens, etc, but he flips out when someone knocks at the door. Silly boy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Lunawolfsong ,

Please close the window and cover it up with some curtain so that kirby doesn't see them if kirby is outside his cage or if he is inside his cage during that time move his cage away from the window to a place where he cannot see the window directly..and ofcouse as suggested by others put on TV or some soothing music loudly. This is what i do during Diwali(Festival of light and sound in india)as people will be burning crackers so cutie gets afraid by loud sound and light.so i first cover the side of the cage that is facing the window with a dark colour cloth then i cover the windows with curtains and put on soothing music loudly so that cutie doesnot hear the loud bang noises from outside.

I also give his favourite treat..so that he would come and eat from my hand and thus get my trust..that what ever happens outside..it will not harm him as i am dere with him:)

Hope This helps!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts