Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the pet store we got Cosmo at to get some more fish for our tank. I fell in love with these two tiels. The pearly one which I think is a female kept following me around in the tank wherever I would move. The dark grey one with the black crest streaks was for sure a male! I had him chatting and singing up a storm when I started whistling to him and he even made a kissy sound after me making them at him. He was so cute he was giving the female in my picture heart wings and singing to her. I wanted to take the him home with me sooo bad, but my boyfriend gave me a firm no :(

How would two males get along in a big cage? Also these guys are skittish and not tame (not biters just don't know step up) like Cosmo was when I got him. How would that do if I got one like that and Cosmo is pretty tamed now? Will the other bird learn faster or would Cosmo backslide. Would they want nothing to do with me if I got Cosmo a buddy? Cosmo loves us and attention, he'll kissy up a storm when he sees us and stretch like "Okay I'm ready to come out"

Idk maybe it was for the best. Another one (not pictured) was stretching and lifted it's wings up and it was bald underneath which concerned us. I'm not sure what it could be or if it's contagious and even if the one I wanted looked fine, I'm not sure if he could carry whatever the other one had.

Because I can't take him home with me I at least got some pictures and want to share how cool these two were. The females tail that photo bombed the boy's picture was so cool! Enjoy the cuteness my friends :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The dark one is definitely a boy. Two males would do fine in a cage together. As to taming, since it is ideal to quarantine for two weeks before introducing birds to each other you could spend that time taming up the new bird. He would then learn from Cosmo that you were OK. It does help to make the process easier sometimes.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
This is why hubby steers me away from everything with feathers when we go into pet stores. I tend to want to take everyone home with me. These two cuties would be irresistable! :love:

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Definitely looked like a cock and a hen to me, but if we knew the pearl's age, then we would know for sure.

Darn, they sound just too sweet, but I am the same. If they do anything to make a personal attachment to me, it becomes extremely hard to walk away!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
The dark one is definitely a boy. Two males would do fine in a cage together. As to taming, since it is ideal to quarantine for two weeks before introducing birds to each other you could spend that time taming up the new bird. He would then learn from Cosmo that you were OK. It does help to make the process easier sometimes.
I thought you have to quarantine for 30-60 days?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Awww, they're absolutely adorable! I'd find it hard to leave them behind, too! :love:

question to the experts: do the white feathers on the head of the male mean he's pied or split to pied?
Split pied.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I thought you have to quarantine for 30-60 days?
The minimum amount of time is 14 days although 30 days is ideal, but not doable by everyone.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wow I love that crest :love: .
The girl looks cute too, I can imagine that you would have trouble leaving them there!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts