Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have two cockatiels, both male, about ten years apart in age and although I'm not sure this is relevant to the eye issue, the older of the two is about 22 years old and still kicking (definitely something to brag about) his name is Sid.
Recently I noticed Sid's eyes were looking very red in the corners closer to his nose. I thought it was probably an age thing and left him alone, but it seems like it might be getting worse and I'm getting worried. Coo (the 12 year old) looks like his eyes are fine (although going bald due to Sid's terrible preening).
I've been hesitant to take him to the vet because I'm worried that they might just charge a ridiculous amount to just tell me that he's old.
I have some picture of Sid's eyes and one of Coo (as an example of normal eyes)

image.jpg

Issues uploading more pictures so just the one of Sid for now

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can't really tell from the picture, but has there been any behavioural changes? My Kirby was sick about a year ago and her eyes were a bit off, she was also not as active so I took her to the vet and I think she had a sinus infection from memory. I would probably recommend a vet visit just in case though, if he is sick, he will likely deteriorate quite quickly

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I agree with a vet visit, I think sore/swollen eyes can be a symptom of some illnesses. I hope Sid is ok

·
Registered
761 Posts
I understand what you are saying about the vet. I too have been charged for the vet to tell me everything is fine. The thing is you just have to do it sometimes. If you think he has a problem, you'll rest easier just going to the vet. It's an unfortunate cost of having a bird :( Do let us know how Sid gets on - I hope he's OK! x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doing great

Thanks everyone. I just took him to the vet and she said that he looks great, doesn't seem to have any of the common issues that they generally see with old age! She took out this fancy wire tool after noting that his eyes are both very red. She used the tool to hold his beak open and look down his throat. She was expecting to see healthy tissue but ended up finding a yeast infection. She took a swab of the stuff to have someone take a look at it in the back (fancy Q-tip down the throat). Apparently she got a chunk and he looked a little more comfortable later. She thinks the infection is the cause of the eye problem and gave us some eye drops and "banana" flavoured medication for his throat.

When we got home Coo was still calling for Sid so I held the little travel cage with Sid up to where he was sitting, he took a good look at Sid and started singing! Coo has a few different patterns that he likes to sing but he went with the one Sid taught him. I got Sid when he was thirteen and he had been taught this by his previous owners, the tune seemed to rub off on Coo (who was three years old at the time). Unfortunately I had to move the cage to take Sid out and give him his meds.

I'm also wondering, does anyone have any advice for giving liquid medicine? The eye drops were fine but he really hated having the syringe in his mouth and made it very difficult.

Thanks again!
image.jpg

·
Registered
761 Posts
That's adorable! I'm afraid I have no experience with syringe medication, but I just wanted to say I'm really chuffed to hear that Sid is on the mend :) x

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's good news! When you say syringe, do you mean like the plastic medicine dropper? I recently had to give Peanut medicine through a medicine dropper, and he really doesn't like being towelled and gets all aggressive when any sort of material comes at him (such as his cage cover). So I would place him on my chest and hold him with one hand and open his beak and then put the medicine in his beak. Also if its a large dosage (say .1ml), I would recommend giving him half to swallow before giving him the rest as I found Peanut would shake a lot of it out of his beak because of the taste.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts