Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my cockatiel (she is very sweet and loves cuddles) and before they had very clear eyes and as of recently there is something growing inside her eyelid. I’m very worried :( what do I do? They said she was 3 months old, and I’m thinking of taking her to the vet. What exactly should I do for the time being while waiting? I washed her eye with some water gently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Her left eye is fine so far(at the bottom picture) but her right eye (the one enlarged has something there) and she scratches it. After dabbing some water she doesn’t scratch it as much.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You might be seeing part of the bird's 'third eyelid'. One of my birds occasionally gets an eye infection and the vet usually prescribes a topical antibiotic ointment for the eye and sometimes an oral antibiotic as well. I've had to rinse the eye gently with 'sensitive eyes' saline solution (from a drugstore's eye medicine section) before applying the ointment. The prepared saline is better than tap water because it is formulated for eyes (human or bird) and free of irritants like chlorine and contamination such as bacteria. I always keep a supply on hand for the birds.

You should go to an avian vet to have her examined - the issue needs to be identified and treated. Don't wait any longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might be seeing part of the bird's 'third eyelid'. One of my birds occasionally gets an eye infection and the vet usually prescribes a topical antibiotic ointment for the eye and sometimes an oral antibiotic as well. I've had to rinse the eye gently with 'sensitive eyes' saline solution (from a drugstore's eye medicine section) before applying the ointment. The prepared saline is better than tap water because it is formulated for eyes (human or bird) and free of irritants like chlorine and contamination such as bacteria. I always keep a supply on hand for the birds.

You should go to an avian vet to have her examined - the issue needs to be identified and treated. Don't wait any longer.

Hello, after this I put some saline solution (the eyedrops) and now my birdy Lucky is feeling much better. Her eye doesn't have anything popping up. Thank you for the recommendation.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hello, after this I put some saline solution (the eyedrops) and now my birdy Lucky is feeling much better. Her eye doesn't have anything popping up. Thank you for the recommendation.
Thanks for letting me know, and glad the rinse took care of it :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts