Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone from the parrot forum told me that feeding pellets everyday is not healthy heres what he said: Please do the research as free feeding any parrot pellets every day will caused liver disease, heart disease, kidney disease and possibly diabetes.Is this true because Tiko eats pellets every single day.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps you misread. The member might have been referring to a pellet-only diet.
Yes he was talking about an all pellet diet we feed Tiko pellets everyday and give her veg and fruit sometimes and she gets egg and chicken but very rarely he said she has too much protein in her diet also.And sometimes we get her Exotic nuts for African greys and it has some small and big nuts and seeds in it.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An all-pellet diet is just as unhealthy as an all-seed diet. Cockatiels are mainly seed-eaters in the wild, so seeds should never be completely removed from their diet.
You can find more information in the stickies as well as older threads throughout the forum.
The Best Diet for Cockatiels: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=27479
Feeding Ecology of Wild Cockatiels: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=16205
Tiko isnt a cockatiel shes an African grey lol.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then this thread really doesn't belong on this forum...
I posted it on this forum because its to do with food not a species of parrot.There was no need for you to post on this thread anyway unless you were helping or asking a question

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I posted it on this forum because its to do with food not a species of parrot.There was no need for you to post on this thread anyway unless you were helping or asking a question
This subforum of the TalkCOCKATIELS forum, "Food and Nutrition", is directed toward COCKATIEL food and nutrition. Specific species are going to have specific dietary needs. If it's not cockatiel-related, then it shouldn't be posted in the cockatiel forum sections.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This subforum of the TalkCOCKATIELS forum, "Food and Nutrition", is directed toward COCKATIEL food and nutrition. Specific species are going to have specific dietary needs. If it's not cockatiel-related, then it shouldn't be posted in the cockatiel forum sections.
Well it could actually be for any bird I was asking is it bad to feed pellets everyday so that could be any bird so it dosent matter if its on this forum

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Just curious, did you read the forum rules at all? They aren't just arbitrary, they exist to help people help you. Diet questions are species-specific, like you've already been told, and we have a subforum for questions about pets other than cockatiels. Also, your tendency to become defensive and fight with people the minute you're told you're wrong is really unattractive. We have more experience than you do and are trying to use it to help you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh my... Have I managed to stumble into a forum where people are this rigid? How did that happen?
How about just answering someone who asks a question about birds and their dietary needs, rather than chewing him out because he asked about a wrong species bird? Yes, this is a cockatiel forum, but it wouldn't be to strange to assume that someone on a tiel forum knows a little something about other birds' nutritional habits and needs, and that someone would be able, and willing, to answer a question about it.
Also, the question he asked was not about his specific bird, but a general question about parrots and an all-pellets diet, and last I checked cockatiels was still considered a species in the parrot family.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, ok, I just introduced myself with a bang... I'm just used to forums where people treat each other with an amount of kindness, rather than this animosity, so I got caught off guard.
I'm sorry Brandon2k14, I hope I haven't stirred up a storm in your thread. :blush:

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just curious, did you read the forum rules at all? They aren't just arbitrary, they exist to help people help you. Diet questions are species-specific, like you've already been told, and we have a subforum for questions about pets other than cockatiels. Also, your tendency to become defensive and fight with people the minute you're told you're wrong is really unattractive. We have more experience than you do and are trying to use it to help you.
Omg are u actually serious im not fighting with anyone and im not talking about a specific species Rocko eats pellets too hes a cockatiel so I can post ut here if I want.I dont want you posting on any of my threads again your just trying to make trouble.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh my... Have I managed to stumble into a forum where people are this rigid? How did that happen?
How about just answering someone who asks a question about birds and their dietary needs, rather than chewing him out because he asked about a wrong species bird? Yes, this is a cockatiel forum, but it wouldn't be to strange to assume that someone on a tiel forum knows a little something about other birds' nutritional habits and needs, and that someone would be able, and willing, to answer a question about it.
Also, the question he asked was not about his specific bird, but a general question about parrots and an all-pellets diet, and last I checked cockatiels was still considered a species in the parrot family.
Thanks for saying what u said.My cockatiel Rocko also eats pellets but he gets seed too.All I wanted was a answer if pellets are bad to feed everyday.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
You know, this is exactly why I stopped posting here before. I am not being rigid or trying to make trouble, I am trying to help people and make it easier for others to help them as well.

Brandon, I have literally had birds longer than you've been alive. I am trying to share the things I've learned with you and others. But it gets really tiresome when your responses are almost always "lol you're wrong and I know better." You don't just do that to me, you do it to multiple people trying to help you, including RowdyTiel in this thread.

I'm not staff here anymore, but people ignoring rules and being rude still bothers me. If you don't want me posting on your threads, then I'll be happy to stop. I hope you and your birds get the info you need.

P.S. You got your answer. The answer is "it depends on the species of bird, because dietary needs differ."

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know, this is exactly why I stopped posting here before. I am not being rigid or trying to make trouble, I am trying to help people and make it easier for others to help them as well.

Brandon, I have literally had birds longer than you've been alive. I am trying to share the things I've learned with you and others. But it gets really tiresome when your responses are almost always "lol you're wrong and I know better." You don't just do that to me, you do it to multiple people trying to help you, including RowdyTiel in this thread.

I'm not staff here anymore, but people ignoring rules and being rude still bothers me. If you don't want me posting on your threads, then I'll be happy to stop. I hope you and your birds get the info you need.

P.S. You got your answer. The answer is "it depends on the species of bird, because dietary needs differ."
I didnt say anything to Rowdy Tiel and you werent helping by going mad because you think that this thread shouldnt be on this forum I can post it here if I want to it dosent go against the rules.And im nice to everyone I just dont like when people are saying things that dosent need to be said.And I never said your wrong and I know better so I dont know what your saying.Also just because you had birds longer dosent mean your better than me either just means you have more experience with birds.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh dear! I do often comment about how nice this forum is in comparison to others. I do hope you're not put off, Nyx.

To answer Brandon's question: I think what you've heard is the same as what I've heard, that an all-pellet/mostly pellet diet is too high in protein and can be hard on the kidneys of some birds, especially 'tiels but also bigger birds like Tiko. On the flip side, seeds are too fatty, veggies are too high in water content or other things...I'm not as seasoned as some of the other bird owners on here, but I think that the best we can do is feed plenty of variety each day - a bit of everything :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh dear! I do often comment about how nice this forum is in comparison to others. I do hope you're not put off, Nyx.

To answer Brandon's question: I think what you've heard is the same as what I've heard, that an all-pellet/mostly pellet diet is too high in protein and can be hard on the kidneys of some birds, especially 'tiels but also bigger birds like Tiko. On the flip side, seeds are too fatty, veggies are too high in water content or other things...I'm not as seasoned as some of the other bird owners on here, but I think that the best we can do is feed plenty of variety each day - a bit of everything :)
Yes Tiko is my mams bird I told her about the pellets shes gonna get a bit of everything now everyday we didnt used to give her veg and fruit and seeds everyday maybe veg and fruit a few times a week since shes eating pellets too.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I don't think it's wrong to feed pellets every day. They just shouldn't make up the majority of the diet. I'm not experienced with larger species of parrots, but I'd assume their protein requirements to be much higher than a cockatiel or a budgie, seeing as they are so much more robust and therefore would need more protein to build strong muscles. You could always join Talk Parrots (if you haven't already), I'm sure there are many knowledgeable large parrot owners on there that would be willing to help you with Tiko's diet.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I guess technically it should of went into the other birds forum, mostly in my opinion to avoid confusion, if people think the bird is a cockatiel because it is in the cockatiel feeding forum they may give you wrong advise. I personally don't mind where it is put, just stating my personal opinion.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.