Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today morning someone rings my door bell and when I open it, our laundry man has a budgie in his hand and he just gave them to me. He didnt say where he got it. he just put in my hands and in my excitement I forgot to ask him the details also. The budgie was scared and bit me nicely but I managed to hold it and I have kept it inside a cage now.

I already have two cockatiels at home and since they dont stay in their cage the budgie can stay in their cage in the meanwhile. I can also give the little budgie their food. They have budgie seeds anyway.

So my concern is, should I be worried about my cockatiels? For now, I'm keeping them in a different room. (of course they heard the budgie chirping and flew in to see him. They seemed pretty excited. But I decided that for the next few days, the budgie and my fellows should be separate.

I want to know any safety measures I can take to keep the cockatiels safe. Also when I should introduce the birds to each other. Or should I introduce them at all? Any tips will be helpful

·
Registered
648 Posts
They should have been kept completely separate for 6 weeks. Quarantine is very important to protect your birds from disease. You cannot always tell a bird is sick until it's too late. It's too late to do quarantine now though if they already flew in to see the budgie. I hope they will be okay.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I agree. The bird seems healthy and is eating well and also chirping. But I'll keep them separate.

I'm also going to ask around if anyone has lost a budgie. I dont want some poor person to mourn this little guy.

·
Registered
574 Posts
We had budgies first, then got a tiel. The little budgies were pretty scared of him for about a year, then they became good friends. They sleep in separate cages but are out of their cages all day and they hang out together without any problems.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I would recommend making "found" flyers in case anyone owns him. :) Good luck with your new little budgie!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
yes it's ok to have them together once quarantine is over. I would have the budgie in a separate cage from the tiels though because sometimes they can be very annoying to other birds, they don't really understand personal space :) Do you have any pictures of your new bub? if the cere (above the beak) is blue then it is a male, if it is brown it is a female (assuming it is a mature bird, young budgie may have different colored ceres)

·
Registered
648 Posts
All the avian vets I've spoken to say 6 weeks is best but longer if you can. I know some people do less but I've always been advised that anything under 6 weeks is still a bit unnecessarily risky. I've only ever had one vet nurse day 4 weeks is adequate quarantine time and she was quickly corrected by the vet.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Cockatiels and budgies do not mix well together. You will have to house them separately and supervise play time together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts