Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our baby was the only survivor of the 5 eggs laid by the parents. He has a splayed leg, but we didn't know it wouldn' heal or correct on it's own. Despite the splayed leg he is pretty active and has showed us he is able to clim, jump and fly masterfuly.

We introduced him to some seeds last week, at first he just split them open and didn't eat them, but since yesterday he has been eating them. Today he refused being fed his formula two times and ate less than half of the usual on our third attempt, we've seen him eating seeds, but we are worried seeds won't be enough and proper bird pellets are not easily available over here. We haven't seen him drinking water on his own either, i have tricked him by placing seeds into the water bowl a couple of times.

Today we tried transfering him from the box we had him to a proper bird cage, at first he had some difficulties because of his splayed leg but then he was all calm he even played with this toys. Suddenly he started jumping and crashing all around his cage, i was very worried about him so i got him out, he didn't do this at all when he was inside the box.

Hope you guys can help us out.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Just so you know, splay leg can be corrected if you take action to fix it while the chick is still growing. But it usually doesn't correct itself without some human help, and it's probably too late now.

It may take several weeks for him to be skillful enough at feeding himself to not need hand feeding at all. This is a good time to introduce him to vegetables, which will provide some of the vitamins that are not in seeds. You can also give him grains that are cooked or soaked, and raw or cooked corn and peas.

He will learn to drink water more easily if you give him a shallow bowl of water that's big enough for him to wade in it. That's how my babies learn to drink - first they start playing in the water, and at some point they find out what happens when they put their beak in the water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts