Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First, I just want to start by saying please no hate. I feel awful already and I just want to help my baby.
His name is Speck. When we first got him, his wings were partially clipped by the previous owner. Well, since then he had gotten very good at flying and had been getting himself into some dangerous situations. So to help protect him, I wanted to clip just a couple more feathers on each wing, gradually.
Well, there was some miscommunication between me and the one with the clippers, and now poor Speck can't fly :( . Believe me I feel absolutely terrible for him, I've cried for him, and I can't wait until the day he molts the clipped feathers and grows new ones.
Now for the issue. On the first day, when he was realizing he can't fly anymore, he attempted some flight and landed on the floor (he can kinda glide, but gets no height). I thought he landed fine, but yesterday I noticed he was holding his left wing a little up and a little away from his body. It's better today than yesterday, but I'm still concerned. He is able to move it fine, he stretches it without issue, he lets me touch it, no signs of being in pain, no screeching or anything, he just seems to have some trouble keeping it in it's natural position and I can imagine it's sore. Also, since the incident, he just hasn't seemed like himself. I think he's been really sad, he hasn't sang any songs, he's been sleeping a bit more, I've seen him eat some but not as much as usual, but he still always goes for his favorite millet.
I'm not even sure what advice I'm looking for. Has anyone experienced similar behavior after clipping wings? Does this seem serious enough to see a vet? Anything advice on what I can do to help him would be great. Thank you <3

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your doing the right thing, everyone here had been really understanding about similar problems. It sounds like they're clipped properly except for the strange wing holding. They should be able to glide down, they can get frustrated by it but will get used to it, in some cases it's necessary for really bad flyers. Keep watching and observing and if it doesn't sort itself out find a vet to check. I've learnt that a lot of little things sort themselves out over a couple of days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.