Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kirby isn't really "other bird friendly". Usually, if he sees another bird, he marches on over there with his crest up to pick a fight. Though I've taken him to the rescue where he met a cockatiel (gender unconfirmed) and he didn't act like that. He also didn't act like that to a Senegal who was a housemate in his previous home. Maybe he's only aggressive to unfamiliar birds, but because other cockatiels are his same species, he's friendly to them? How can I confirm this without risking a bird fight at the rescue?

I volunteer at the rescue, and often take Kirby along because I'd adopted him from there and the other volunteers love him. I also take him to educational events where other volunteers also take their birds, and I don't want him picking a fight at an event.

To date, I've never seen him actually fight another bird (the closest was some angry screaming when a grackle tried to bite his toe). I don't know if he's all talk, or if he would actually attack if given the chance.

How can I socialize him safely (as in not attacking or getting attacked) with other birds? I'm sure there must be some way to do it...

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Have you tried letting him watch youtube videos of other birds? Socializing birds isn't like socializing dogs. If a bird doesn't like other birds, there's really no way to get them over it. Some birds just prefer people. And you really don't want to try to introduce them to unknown birds because of the risk of disease and injury to both birds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts