Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

I've been stalking the forums incognito for a little while, but now I have an actual account - and a cockatiel! The breeder said he hasn't had his first moult yet, so I think he's maybe six months old? :tiel2:

Little guy (still agonising over choosing the perfect name lol) arrived today, and I've spent most of this afternoon just sitting near him and talking to him. He's chirped maybe like four times, and mostly he's just sitting on the top perch with his crest fully raised and all his feathers fluffed out, which I've read means he's nervous and on high alert. But he's also closing his eyes, so does that mean he's relaxed enough to try and sleep? I put some tiny bits of lettuce in his food bowl, and although he went right to the opposite end of the cage to avoid my hand, when I shut the cage door he went straight over to examine his food bowl, which I think is a good sign? He also has been making a sneezing sound when he's anxious (when I put my hand in the cage and when other members of my family saw him for the first time). Is that normal?

Gah I'm full of new bird mama anxieties! Hopefully these forums will be able to help me with any hiccups. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome to TC! I'm newly returned, so we can stumble trough together! We would love to see some pictures of your little guy when you have time! And I know about the anxiety over picking a name. The struggle is real! See-ya round!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
He may not sleep for long periods of time until he relaxes.

Tiels love food. Millet is a good way to earn trust with them. He may not recognize the lettuce as food to begin with. He's going to wary of you until he can trust you and it's always best to go at his own pace.

The "sneezing" sound seems like he is probably hissing at you. This is a warning that means he's frightened and is his way of saying go away.

Good luck with your new baby and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hello and welcome to you and your new baby from Joey and me :) The name will come to you, and you will know it is the right one. It took a week for Joey's name to be decided.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Heya from central Canada :D Welcome you and 'unnamed tiel', lol!

It sounds as though you're making good progress with your fid. As already stated above - best to go their pace and let them dictate to you what they want. As for checking out the greens - an excellent first step! Soon they'll be eating right out of your hands! I also suggest spray millet. It's great for training and treats. My guys go bonkers for it.

**Waves again and trots off**

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome to Talk Cockatiels! We hope you feel welcome here and can gain plenty of information to know more about cockatiels :)

haha, I was like that with Hano and Raichu when I first became a cockatiel mom. I would always be near their cage and fall in love with them and constantly worried whether they were fine or not. cx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This is Jim! He's started taking millet from my hand, and he chatters away while I'm working at my desk next to his cage. I'm not doing very well with getting him to eat his vegetables, but he's had a few sugar snap peas and a bit of pepper.

The only real niggle I have at the moment is a growing thought that he may actually be a she... The woman I got him from said that he hadn't had his first moult yet, which is why his face is so pale. His tail is a mix of black and barred feathers. So I guess maybe just wait and see?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts