Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was attempting to have him perch onto my finger since he’s been more tolerant of my presence but he climbed out of the cage and landed on the floor. my sister and i were trying to use a wooden perch to bring him into the cage, but he kept backing away. i used millet to guide him back to the perch and while he did step onto it, he flew into the window (he’s okay though, his wings were clipped from the pet store). so then he flew onto the floor again. my mom grabbed him without hesitation and he bit her real hard. i didn’t want for that to happen and i feel like my bird is going to be scared of my hands forever 😞 what do i do now?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
A safer way to get your 'tiel back into the cage if this ever happens again is to gently drape a towel or a cloth over him and pick him up carefully (taking care not to put pressure on his chest as 'tiels don't have a diaphragm and therefore can't breathe when pressure is applied to their chest area). That way he is far less likely to become stressed and bite.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you do like vickitiel said then your bird will also associate the bad with the cloth and not hands which is a bonus in my eye lol. My friend uses a technique where she puts the bird she’s taming into a small carry size cage and will carry it around with her all day placing her hand in now and then and offering food from her hand or through the bars. The bird won’t be cuddly tame but it will be a good start

1 - 3 of 3 Posts