Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So I just thought I'd share a little story about my Charlie boy. Last week I had to have some day surgery and when I got home I let Charlie out of his cage to the usual round of delighted tweets, screeches and maniacal flying (he does laps of my loung and kitchen till he's so puffed I'm sure he'll just drop dead from a heart attack - then catches his breath and goes again!). After his laps it's play time with mum, but I was too sic this time.

I don't do well with anaesthatis and was still feeling terribly nauseated and groggy. As soon as Charlie had done his laps he flew down onto the couch and landed on the side of my head. I then fell asleep and stayed on the couch till 3am (got home at 7pm, his bed time is normally 10pm) only stirring a few times. What amazes me was that he stayed on my head in the same position the whole time and didn't move. That is totally unheard of for him. Normally he would be climbing all over me, trying to get scratches and chewing my ears/lips/hands etc. Instead he stayed still. I believe he knew I wasn't well, and he was looking after his mummy.

He knew , he stayed with me the whole time and I believe he would have stayed all night if he had to...I don't even think he fell asleep! I think he stayed awake to protect me!

They are just so beautiful and we are so privileged to have them. I just wondered if anyone else had any similar experiences?? I'd love to hear!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Such a sweet, protective little guy! :love: I haven't had an experience like that, so no stories to share. My heart is all warm and mushy after reading your post. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Aww bless him, that's so sweet! And I agree with your last statement, it is a privilege to own a bird (and of course we try to do our best by them!). I can't think of any examples quite yet but my memory is terrible.. I was having fun with Maxi just this evening, playing a game -- cockatiels are such a delight!

Okay I remembered an example! -- Maxi is bonded to me and only I may touch her (and only her head/bit of the back of her neck). But one day when my young niece was visiting, I was a bit apprehensive as she wanted to stroke Maxi .. I expected the usual warning/nibbles/nips people get but Maxi just let her stroke her, and down towards her back too which is unheard of ahah. Good birdys!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I love reading stories like this, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Milo knows when I am home, as he greets me with a "hi Milo" over and over till I say it back to him, but when my hubby comes in he will do a wolf whistle, as their game is mimicking each other with the whistle till one of them can't take it any more. Silly birdie. I am so lucky to have him...Even my little female budgie learned to talk from Milo!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes! Last week I was sick with stomach flu. I had to get up anyway to wake and feed Murray, my little hen. She too usually flies around the room and tweets all morning, but that morning she saw me just curled up on the sofa. She ate her breakfast and came right over. She sat on me and kept trying to go to sleep, like she was trying to fall in with what I seemed to be doing that day. She was so quiet and - dare I say it - she even seemed worried!

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
My boys are always so close when I'm unwell or having a panic attack (it's been almost a full year since I've had one!). They always know when something is wrong with momma.

I just love cockatiels in general. They are the greatest birds

·
Registered
761 Posts
My boys are always so close when I'm unwell or having a panic attack (it's been almost a full year since I've had one!). They always know when something is wrong with momma.

I just love cockatiels in general. They are the greatest birds
I think they pick up on psychological distress too. Last week my supervisor sent me home in the middle of the day and told me to stop working and make a doctors' appointment before stress made me seriously ill. In the days leading up to that event, Murray did NOTHING but try to stop me working in the evenings. I've never been nipped so much. Needless to say I've taken my supervisor's (and Murray's?) advice and I'm taking a break!

I agree, they are the best :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nawww! Thanks for all the awesom stories! I love just how awesome they are. Charlie always knows when something is wrong with me!

However, right now he knows I'm all good, he's sitting on my head making a nest in my hair!
Love him so much!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Our little guy guards us too when we nap. His favorite spot is on a shoulder when we sleep on our sides.

·
Registered
58 Posts
They definitely pick up on our fear so I suppose they learn to pick up on our other emotions as well. I lost my voice a few weeks ago and it felt like Sunny was talking for both of us. What was really sweet when he asked me if I was ok. He copies my tone of voice so well it sounded like he was really concerned. You know you've lost it a bit when you start answering your bird's questions (hehehe).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts