Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local pet shop owner has told me that she now has some 1 year old cockatiels ready to be homed (originally she thought she wouldn't have any more in until June when her breeder's babies were ready to be homed).

I darn't go there until I've brought the cage, etc in case I get attached to one of them but return a week later and they're gone, but I really can't wait to bring a little birdie home :D

One thing I'm still not sure about is whether I should get a male or female, I've never owned a bird before but I've read about the pros and cons of each sex but I'm still not sure. Like I said before it isn't a big deal to me as long as the bird is friendly but just wondered if any of you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Females

Pros:

Snuggle up on shoulders
Loves to be pet
Very affectionate

Cons:

Hormonal problems
Egg laying
Screeching
Egg binding

Males

pros:

Amazing whistlers
Talkative
Cute behaviors (i.e. Heart wings, beak banging)

cons:

Bites when hormonal

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I have both, and I have found both sexes can be just as sweet, cuddly, outgoing, and friendly as the other. Honestly, you will be happy with either sex — they are amazing little birds, and without a doubt, real gems.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I have both but I'd go a male!
Both vocalise - males chat and whistle whereas females shriek.
Females i find are more independent and less cuddlier and easier to become hormonal.
Males are more interactive.

In the end it comes down to the bird's personality though :) and with cockatiels you probably won't even know the sex when you buy! My advice is just buy the bird which is the friendliest and looks the cutest. You"ll fall in love regardless of sex :p

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you everyone :)

I have both but I'd go a male!
Both vocalise - males chat and whistle whereas females shriek.
Females i find are more independent and less cuddlier and easier to become hormonal.
Males are more interactive.

In the end it comes down to the bird's personality though :) and with cockatiels you probably won't even know the sex when you buy! My advice is just buy the bird which is the friendliest and looks the cutest. You"ll fall in love regardless of sex :p
The lady has told me that I'll be able to interact with them before I make my decision so picking out a friendly bird shouldn't be too difficult :) But yeah I'd rather pick a bird over their personality than their sex.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I agree--go for personality. That's what I did with my younger cockatiel. I picked the one that was happy to step up and stay on my finger.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Exciting times ahead :)
I would forget about the sex, when you see them and interact with them you'll just know which one to choose, either that or one will take that decision away from you and choose you instead :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Exciting times ahead :)
I would forget about the sex, when you see them and interact with them you'll just know which one to choose, either that or one will take that decision away from you and choose you instead :)
I definantly agree! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts