Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to try the, "they'll eat what you eat," method after my boy Nibbles almost walked through my enchiladas the other night. So, I sectioned off my plate as I made it. On one half, spaghetti and meat sauce, garlic toast and green beans for me. On the other, spaghetti noodles, shredded collard greens and a green bean for Nibbles. He ignored me at first, but once my fork touched food, he started sneaking over. He took the tiniest, daintiest nibble possible of the end of a noodle, then apparently he decided to say, "screw it!" and tramped over to my toast and started eating the crust. When he tried to stick his beak in my sauce, I nudged him off the plate. He flew back to his cage to pout, and got sauce on his wing in the process, the clutz. >.<

On the bright side, he's becoming a little more open to trying things- just not the ones I want him to try. I took out his seed a little before all this happened, and now he's munching at the pasta in his food cup. He seems a bit perturbed by the lack of fatty seedy goodness, but it's progress!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Kiwi does the same thing. After pushing him away about ten times he gets the message.
I found that if I give him his own plate of food, and it looks mostly similar to what I'm eating, then he's fine with it.
Otherwise he's up on my shoulder trying to take a bite of whatever is going into my mouth. The crust is his favorite part too xD

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I didn't even mean for that to happen to me. The 1st day I got my bird I too was having spaghetti and bread and he walked over like he owned the place and stole the bread off my plate. I took it back and wiped a noodle clean for him and put it hanging over off the plate. He yanked that off and paraded around with that in his beak. Now, if I have have him out when I eat he wants some too

·
Registered
104 Posts
hemi loves eating from my plate and it can be quite annoying esp when he walks over everything! i tried the method of having another plate but he just likes sharing with me so i just gave up i would rather him try my food and veges rather than just eat seed.
guess im abit of a pushover lol

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I can't eat anything around my guys...I had a hen who would eat the cheese out of my hubby's whoppers. Jeep will eat all the bread to a burger if you let him. I got them to eat a lot of new foods by "eating" it myself. If I wanted them to try something, I'd sit next to them with said food on my plate and of course, they have to have what I have. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I'll have to start having fake meals, hehe. I'll make up a plate, play with it with my fork and let him chow down, then keep him off my desk while I'm eating my actual dinner.

Eating the cheese out of a whopper- that's just too funny!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts