Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Schubert is my first cockatiel ever, and the first bird I've ever had that has been tamed to come out of the cage. We've had him 6 months now and for the past week he has taken to coming out of his cage, across a perch bridge I created to the couch, and will immediately sit on my shoulder. A lot of times he caused mischief like chewing on my earrings, using me to get to my laptop to try to chew on the keys, or whatever else he can think of. But other times he will sit up on my shoulder and fluff up to take a nap. I just really wanted to share because it seriously melts my heart every single time I see his little bird eyes close when he's right next to my face.

And then he'll wake up and immediately lunge for my earrings, but I digress.

I'm just so happy I got little Schubert and so happy to see that he's become so accustomed to us! Plus, on a side note, his wings were clipped by the breeder when we got him, but now his flight feathers have been growing back in very nicely and he happily flies a couple laps around the room every morning as soon as I let him out of the cage. =)

·
Registered
786 Posts
He sounds very sweet. Isn't it funny how they steal your heart so quickly? Milo loves to get at my earrings too, silly boy! I am so glad you have him now :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's so sweet. He sounds just like my Coco, haha. My heart can't help but melt whenever I read a post like this and of course my guys melt my heart every day too. They're just the best. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love these adorable little flufballs
My guy gets, I dunno, separation anxiety? if hes playing on my desk and even sometimes pecking at me when I get close like "no go away I'm playing" and then I leave the room, he immediatley stops playing and starts searching for me, and as soon as i get back hes like OMG IM SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK I WAS SO ALONE!
I cant resist him :3

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
So sweet! Joey still won't step up or sit on us, but when he is playing on his cage, and we stop to talk to him, he wants to be in our faces, getting kisses on the top of his head or rubbing his head on our cheeks. If I don't kiss the top of his head, these past couple days, he will gently headbutt my lips until I do. It is hard to give kisses when you are giggling, but I somehow manage. He's such a bossybutt. :D At the rate he is going the last few days, he will be sitting on us soon. I can't wait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its so much fun when Sona and Mona land on our shoulder. Both of them peck at my wife's earrings and try to play with it. When either one of them starts annoying my wife, I try to have them step up on my hand and away from my wife. It has always worked with the treat - Sunflower seed in my other hand. And occasionally, they do close their eyes and take a nap on one of our shoulder, especially after lunch. We try to avoid moving when that happens but we can't do it for any longer than a few minutes. Then they readily step up on the stick and then onto their sleeping perch.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Geez I love cockatiels! They all have such different personalities that make us love them!

Schubert's definitely made a habit of coming out onto my shoulder. He seems to prefer me over my boyfriend, but that's probably because I have my homework set up near the couch closest to his cage so I'm the most easily accessible to him (you have wings, Schubert, and I know you know how to use them!)

He loves to help me with my homework in that if I'm reading a book for class, he'll sit on my chest or shoulder and just stare at the book with me. Then he'll go down and BITE A PAGE and I have to kind of... hide that for when I return these books, whoops. Otherwise he loves to help me crochet by biting the hook each time it comes near him when he's on my shoulder. He's behind me right now, climbing the back of my couch and, oh look, now he's on my shoulder chewing my glasses. *sigh* He's lucky I love him, haha.

EDIT: Also my boyfriend and I figured that one day when Schubert writes his own autobiography, it will probably be called "I'm Gonna Bite It!" because I'm pretty sure that's all that goes through his head when he's sitting on my shoulder and his eyes narrow in at my earrings/book/glasses/nose/whatever else is in front of him before he bites it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
aww, thats so cute! it always amazes me when i hear about how long it takes for other people's birds to warm up to them; i got so thrown off with miso...she is also my first bird, and she also came from a pet store. my plan was to leave her be for a week and then start trying to get her comfortable with my hand but it did not work like that. on the end of day 3 we had opened the cage (she has clipped wings) to see if she wanted to climb around....instead she "flew" out and landed on the floor and i had to pick her up and she did not want to be put down. the next day she was snuggling up against my neck, chewing my earrings, preening my hair, it was like we had already had her home for months. birds are honestly so cuddly and adorable and they make absolutely precious companions

miso is very funny, too..through out the day she keeps herself entertained for the most part on top of her cage with her toys, but if you leave the room for even a minute she starts calling for you to come back. and the when you come back and put your finger out for her to come with you she refuses to. it's like she's saying "no, i don't want to play with you right now, but you have to stay and give me attention anyway!" sometimes she does this just out of flock calling though in which case we're very careful to always say "miso, we're here!" or "we're coming back!", and she's seemed to learn what those phrases mean which is very helpful

·
Registered
17 Posts
My female cockatiel likes to sit on shoulders as well, but she's very respectful and only comes if you invite her. If I whistle and call for her then she'll fly over and sit on my shoulder for hours at a time. Then she will peck at my shoulder until I scratch her head. If I stop she will begin pecking my shoulder again so she has me well trained.

She's affectionate but not as snuggly as my first cockatiel Sunny Girl, who I had back in circa 1996. Sunny Girl used to sit on my shoulder and then rub her head against my neck. However she was only affectionate toward me and not my wife. I guess she was quite biased toward men haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts