Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just as a little reprieve from the drama, i was sniffing Darla today (don't act like you don't sniff them) and she smells a bit like the dust at the bottom of a cereal box. Im not sure what buttercup smells like because she doesn't like to be sniffed (go figure) but I think it's a bit like plain Doritos. What do your birds smell like

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dirt. Or right after a bath they smell worse than wet dogs

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh god, when I first bathed my birds I was definitely not prepared for that level of stink. My habit for sniffing them really got me good that time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah they are pretty stinky when wet the level of stink for such a small bird is quite impressive

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I love the smell of my boy... But when he came home from the breeder (when I was on holiday) it was a pretty intense smell! Like... cheese?

·
Registered
17 Posts
What a great topic!

Dave and Qashqai have the indelicate aroma of broccoli bits today...they also looked a bit insulted when I sniffed them. They usually smell a bit like a dusty windowsill that's been in the sun for ages.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey smells like wheat in the early Autumn sun, when it is just ready to harvest. He is getting more patient with my sniffing. At first he'd give me a withering look or the birdie death stare, and now it is more the bird equivalent of a sighing teenager, but he still allows it.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I had one that used to smell like maple syrup, it was wonderful! lol

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
My 'tiels smell like dust with an aroma of something spicy. It gets stronger if they haven't had a shower in a while. I always joke that they smell like an Indian after a good curry haha.

Loki smells very herb-like, something like a muted rosemary with a hint of sweetness.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hahaha I needed to relieve some tension, Thankyou Tasheanne.
So I ran in and started sniffing and got some funny looks from the birds, just a slightly sweet organic smell, quite nice! My husband looked at me funny but he sniffed too and said they smell like budgies!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My 'tiels smell like dust with an aroma of something spicy. It gets stronger if they haven't had a shower in a while. I always joke that they smell like an Indian after a good curry haha.

Loki smells very herb-like, something like a muted rosemary with a hint of sweetness.
Mmmm...curry! I do know what you mean about that 'after a good curry' scent. The spices do seem to linger in the pores. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
When Schubert is dry he smells like something comforting, like a dusty old book or something.

....But when he's wet he smells like chicken broth???!!?!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Sunny smells like clean linens. The girls smell nutty, kind of.

Has anyone else noticed that grey tiels and lutino tiels smell different?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that grey tiels and lutino tiels smell different?
I think every tiel has it's own unique smell. Nips, the one that smelled like maple syrup, was a white faced grey. Daisy, my lutino pearl, always smelled more dusty. My hubby could've probably told them apart by smell alone. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
My birds smell like....dusty chickens, LMAO. It's a light musty scent with a hint of dust. Can't quite describe it :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Zoe and Panda just smell.. birdy LOL. I don't know, it's just that feather dust smell and I really love it. They smell so good. Except after a bath. Oh my god. EW.

Oscar smells herb-y as well. Maybe that's a lorikeet thing? lmao!

I don't know about the others, they won't let me smell them :p

J

·
0 Posts
Considering tiels NEVER get a proper bath like humans do... they smell REALLY good... actually MUCH better than most people smell like and tiels don't even wear deodorant LOL

My tiel thinks it's "normal" to constantly have my face sniffing him. I would bite the crap out of someone if they were doing those annoying things to me... but he doesn't know any better. I am addicted to smelling my tiel. I must get a "fix" every few min. Poor bird. I think I'm becoming immuned to the smell because I could have sworn I was able to detect more scent when I first got him. LOL

You know, like those crazy cat people with 50 cats... they eventually become immuned to the stench!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts