Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 months ago I inherited 20 cockatiels and it's been a huge learning curve, it has involved learning how to open a cage without losing birds.

Illnesses to watch out for

Snakes

Breeding: at one stage I had 17 eggs and was freaking out, but of those 17 only 6 hatched, sadly they all died.

How to check nesting boxes.

After the heartbreak of all the chicks dying, I rehomed 5 of the adult birds with a lovely lady & a man who both love cockatiels.

So my flock of 20 is now a nice manageable 8. I think it is for the best. I feel more comfortable with fewer of them.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm so sorry about losing all the chicks :( it sounds like you made the right decision for your flock and for yourself. And that's awesome that you found a lovely home for 5 of them. I wish you and your 'tiels the best! We're always here to help if you need it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
smaller flock

Wow, I can't imagine taking care of 20 cockatiels! I imagine you did learn quite a lot! It is great you were able to re-home some and now have a more manageable flock. Best wishes to you and your "fids"!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I can't imagine getting 20 at once. Lots to learn, and learn as you go. I admire you for knowing what you are comfortable with, and taking the time to find a fabulous home for some of them, so that all can have a great life.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am glad things are turning out better now. I am sorry about all the losses you have had. Its great you found such a good home for five of them. Hopefully too, you won't have any more problems with snakes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts