Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have baby apple sauce srtiels spice remedy
but im not sure which to do first
its been since last night baby #3 crop is not fully emptying
i know its not room temp causing it to slow down
formula temp is 104-105 f when fed
and only one baby is affected.... he is the one i had problems with yolk at hatching
and srtiels said he would be slow to grow almost like a minature cockatiel
any suggestions
please help

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
has anyone used the spice remedy?
how did you mix it?in water or formula?
or both ways?
do you still feed formula too...
i thought you would mix a pinch in formula ..but how much formula versus spices for 1 chick serving?chick is 40.2 grams...
so would convertion be a pinch spice to 4cc/ml formula.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Ok...if there is old food in the crop it has to be emptied (hold baby with head facing down and massage food out of the crop) out before any new food is put in the crop. Once the crop is empty you will want to do the Alka Selzter (AS) as in the link: http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/sour-and-slow-crop-remedies.html Let the baby digest 1-2Cc id the AS water. Then feed a 1/2 of what you normally feed with a pinch of the spice mix added.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hold him with face facing floor while massaging out food?any pictures of this?
after he pukes (empties crop) then...
feed him 1-2 cc of the 1/2 alkaselser tablet to 4 oz water solution
then wait until empty crop and feed him 1/2 of his usual 4 cc meaning only 2cc(he is 2 weeks old)
but for how long 1/2 feeds and when do you stop spice remedy after 5-7 days max right?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
is there also an alternative to the alkaselser?if you don't have or can't buy?
also another question exact hand feeding formula suggest mix applesauce with formula on side
container is that really advised for slow crop as they say there?
is yes when you mix with formula are they saying to omit water for sauce or mix as usual
then mix half and half?what is your understanding on what they are writing there?
thanx sorry so many questions at once

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hold him with face facing floor while massaging out food?any pictures of this?
after he pukes (empties crop) then...
feed him 1-2 cc of the 1/2 alkaselser tablet to 4 oz water solution
then wait until empty crop and feed him 1/2 of his usual 4 cc meaning only 2cc(he is 2 weeks old)
but for how long 1/2 feeds and when do you stop spice remedy after 5-7 days max right?
srtiels any thoughts on these questions please:confused:
if you had to go with baking soda whats the mix amounts?

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
-------------------------------

Go with 1 tsp. of baking soda dissolved in 4 oz. of warm water.

Yes...you would hold the bird head facing down, and massage/work from the base of the crop to help to push the food out of the crop and mouth. Have a Q-tip ready to wipe out any excess forumla in the mouth...if needed.

Do the half feeding until you get good crop emptying. Once you know the crop is emptying then you can go back to feeding the 10% of body weight. I'd use the spice mix for a week.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
-------------------------------

Go with 1 tsp. of baking soda dissolved in 4 oz. of warm water.

Yes...you would hold the bird head facing down, and massage/work from the base of the crop to help to push the food out of the crop and mouth. Have a Q-tip ready to wipe out any excess forumla in the mouth...if needed.

Do the half feeding until you get good crop emptying. Once you know the crop is emptying then you can go back to feeding the 10% of body weight. I'd use the spice mix for a week.
do you mean hold the baby upside down,,, kind of leaning far forward (not actually totally upside down though i know)?or in a standing position with head stretched out straight out to body but looking down then massage/work food out?
sorry don't mean to sound stupid but i wanna understand your instructions perfectly.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so more or less straight out from his body in a horizontal manner
he still hasn't fully emptied his crop..i tried applesauce mixed with spice remedy but it didn't work totally he still has food in the crop.
so i'm gonna try the baking soda and spice now after i get him to puke up food that was left in crop..if it works great
if not i'm gonna buy the alkaselser and do it that way if that works then 1/2 feeds until crop starts working properly
i will update with progress in about an hour or so
thanks Susanne will keep you updated:D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ive tried emptying crop but it keeps poping back down throat is this because im not pushing it up throat with enough pressure on crop/or base of crop im only using a little pressure
should i use more?i dont want to hurt him
srtiels any suggestions plz
any pics of hand holding position while doing this procedure?
btw hubby is gone to pick up alkaselser now all i have to do is get this lil guy to puke easier said then done

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I don't have any pix.

OK...just a thought....is any of the formula coming out? if so, but it still feels like there is something in the crop this could be yeast building up on the inside wall of the crop thickening the skin.

If you do the AS or baking soda let the chick digest some of this first to help clear out the intestines of old or harmful food in the digestive track. The feed 1/2 the feeding with the yogurt ans spic mix mixed in.

Do you have any 'human' antibiotics on hand...specially Keflex in capsule form. I have found this antibiotic is great with babies having crop problems.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
no formula came out i got it to come half way up his throat then he stood back up and down his throat it went again...boy it is easier said then done he is so squirmy.
he still has a feeding response when you touch his beak and is begging when clutchmates are crying for food.. i just gotta make him puke i know it.
how do you hold chick in your hand exactly ?
maybe that will help maybe my positioning is wrong
i've tried standing him on a towel with head tilted downwards and work food up
but this way he pops back up & causes food to go back down

ive tried placing him in my palm with head tilting down with same results
any easier way to do this?
can you give alkaselser before to help make baby puke?
then do massage/work it out?
the contents are liquidy with no apparent hardening in there.
i also see some bubbles but assume this is from massaging crop so much
what do you think?
any extra suggestions
btw he has some black lines in his belly now as of this afternoon
is his crop shutting down
kind of like roxy mention about one of her chicks had

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
can you give alka selser before to help make baby puke?
then do massage/work it out?
the contents are liquidy with no apparent hardening in there.
i also see some bubbles but assume this is from massaging crop so much

--------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you can carefully feed 1-2cc of AS or water. This will thin down the crop contents some so that they are easier to massage out.

The bubbles you are seeing in the crop is because the food is oured and fermenting.

OK....the hand position. It is the same position as if you were holding the mouse of your computer....meaning your palm is over the back of the bird and your fingers wrapping around the body. Hold the bird will the head facing downwards....then push/lassage food up the neck/throat starting at the base of the crop.

If you are unsure how to empty the crop you might phone around to see if a breeder or a shop owner can show you how and empty the crop the first time. An experienced person may also have a tube to go into the crop and suck out the contents.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok we got progress got 3/4 empty only maybe a 1/2 cc left in crop its a little bigger then pea size left
will update when totally empty:D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its empty cropped
yay i did it again with your help!
ty Susanne
now what next alkaselser solution?1-2 cc of mixed solution then wait till next feed?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
then go back to 1/2 feeds after 1 or 2 feeds ?or 1/2 feeds for 24hrs?
can you give alkaselser antacid and pain relief(asa)in it? we have no original formula at our pharmacy only that formula with asa in it?it has no flavor
and do you only give one dose of alkaseltzer solution then switch over to 1/2 feeds until when i got crop empty now:)
your article says crop returns to normal within 6-12hrs aprox. after crop is emptied and alkaseltzer solution mix is given

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well not knowing about if i should or not give alkaseltzer with asa in it
i gave baby baking soda mix and spice remedy
until i hear back from srtiels
hope i hear from her before next feed:eek:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
its been 3 hrs since i gave baby baking soda mixture
but its only half gone out of crop i gave him 2cc of it how long do i have to wait or should crop be emptied again and given alkaseltzer solution instead this time
he begged for food about 10 minutes ago what should i do?
anyone have suggestions?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts