Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my old man has recently been sleeping at the bottom of his cage and it has me a bit worried. He used to have a reflective surface down there and often talked to it (like his other mirrors) so it makes me think he's just hanging out with his buddy. But I have heard the many sad stories that begin with a bird sleeping on the floor.

Other than that he's been doing very well for a 21 year old cockatiel. He recently had liver problems but we gave him some medicine and switched to a healthier diet and he's been doing very well. He's like a young man again, singing every day, chirping and more energetic than he has been in a while.

Given that the rest of his behaviour and health seems to be normal, I feel that the sleeping on the floor thing is not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be but I would really love to hear from other tiel owners. I would bring him to the vet if I had to but its really stressful for him and I don't want to cause him unnecessary stress. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum to you and your tiel!
Have you changed anything in the cage or in the room where the cage is?
Does he sit on the perch well during the day?
Maybe it is just the reflecting surface though, as you say.
Keep an eye on him for other changes in his behaviour. But if he keeps being well he is most probably fine. Has he EVER slept on the ground before?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome and for replying to my post!

I haven't changed anything about his cage in a number of months and it's in the same place in the room as it always has been.
His behaviour is very normal and he has no mobility issues. He can stand on his perches just fine and doesn't seem to have any problems jumping off or climbing onto them.

I'm inclined to think his recent change in sleeping is due to the reflective paper I had on the ground for a while. Another thing it could be is that we partially cover his cage at night and the spot on the ground where he occasionally sleeps is probably the darkest part of the cage at night. It has been getting sunnier here so maybe he's trying to find a dark place to sleep.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts