Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am new to keeping a cockatiel and I am concerned he's not getting enough sleep.
So I move his cage at 8pm into my room for bed (my lizards light and aquarium light go off at 8 In my room so I thought it would be perfect since my parents are still awake and doing things in the living room, plus they wake up early.) He wakes up at 8. My concern is that I like to either play video games and talk to friends for a few hours after 8 or watch TV. I've read that some birds will get used to the noise and sleep fine but others say the exact opposite. My tiel does take naps during the day, sometimes in the afternoon on my shoulder, or even an hour or two after he wakes up which concerns me.
So any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put mine to bed at 9. The thing to do is be consistent. Make sure you have a schedule and stick to it. Pet parrots are very delicate. So try not to change it that often. I cover the cage and try to be quiet. Try not to disturb them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We do 9:30 wake up, 10am open cage, 10pm back in cage, covered by 10:30. On days we both work and she has to get up earlier, she goes to bed earlier. It fits well with our schedule as her cage is in our bedroom, she seems happy and rested, and if she starts getting hormonal, we have plenty of leeway to adjust her bedtime. When winter comes around we'll shift it an hour earlier to coincide with daylight hours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts