Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
It's me again 馃榿. I was curious as to what times everyone usually puts their cockatiels to sleep; also what times they wake up. I work a 3 pm to 11 on shift. I like to put Monty to bed at maybe 11:30 and wake him up at 10. I have been doing this for a month and he seems good with it. He does usually nap and play while I am at work.
I don't want to be selfish by putting him to bed later just because we like to hang out before. his bedtime. I understand he requires 10 to 12 hours sleep. He does seem fine with the schedule he is on, but I don't want to create a behavioral issue in the future.

Registered
Is his cage covered so that he's in darkness until 10:00 AM?

When he gets more hormonal you might find that he needs a full 12 hours. Keep it in mind as a first step if any issues develop.

Registered
Agreed, I used to let mine sleep later covered or so I thought. However he would wake up with the sun anyway. This wasn't a problem until he became hormonal and started to screech a lot showing he was tired and grumpy from lack of sleep the vet said. So now he's in his own room with natural light and goes to sleep with the sun and wakes up with the sun, he's much better behaved. In his own room I can shut the door so he's not effected by my late night movements and he doesn't wake me, in fact while I know he wakes with the sun, he listens for me and calls as soon as he hears me in the mornings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts