Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I bought a adult female tiel last night as I posted in intros her name is Noel.. I have noticed a HUGE size diffrence in her she is from a private breeder who takes excellent care of her birds to the ones that come from petstores when they reach adult hood has anyone else noticed this?? My mom in laws birdies are full grown purchesed one from a petstore and one from petsmart diffrent states (not that they are not healthy just smaller) and Noel is 3 times as big.

Kitty

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
All tiels are differerent sizes so it all depends. If she is not overweight then she's fine. You can tell this by looking at their chest area. There should be little or no line below their chest bone. Overweight tiels will have a big line with two pretty noticeable "rolls of fat" on each side. Hope that answered it. :)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Size can also be affected by breeding. Certain mutations which may have had more inbreeding to get them up to "standards" are generally smaller than, for example, a normal grey. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of the birds that I saw last night were huge not fat however... She has several colors I am not sure whats what in the world of color mutations in birds:confused: I can't find any pictures of what color Noel is I have searched everything that has to do with colors in Tiels?? I guess I could post some pics as soon as I find out if it will stress her out or not I really don't want to start out scaring her. She is 3 yr old adult not super tame.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok she kinda looks like the Ex. White face normal gray but no white shes a light silver color where any white would be on her face:confused: Ok I will break out the camara.:D

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
She sounds like she has some lovely colours on her:D A couple of pictures would be great to work out which mutation she is, but I would love to see her :)

The size difference varies between cockatiels, so I wouldn't worry :)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I agree with the others size varies from tiel to tiel, I got all three of mine from a breeder two of them are female and there is a huge size difference between them Minnie is smaller boned, where as Georgie is a big boned gal :p Georgie is a few months older but you can still see she is very wide across the chest area where as Minnie is much smaller but like Bea said certain mutations where inbreed such as Minnie(lutino) so they are generally smaller in size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts