Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a 12 week old cockatiel baby. Brought him home about 4 weeks ago. He is a rather small guy. When he came home is was 90 g. HE LOOOVES US and wants to cuddle alllll the time. we visited him since birth, so he very well knows us. First weigh in after 3 days was 76 g!! we took him home again and didn't handle him as much to get bored for eating, but he lost weight again and we had to keep him with the breeder again for 2 days to fatten up to 90 g. He went home again and again did not eat ( We offer same food and variety as breeder). within 5 days he was down again to 70 g!!!! He is very active, but only wants out. We changed the bowls around and closed the window blinds to make it more intimate for him. But now he again just wants to come out and cuddle. I am afraid, that he again will loose weight. the last time, Breeder said to not handle him at all. Which we did, but he still didn't eat. He looks healthy, but I can already tell, that he just wants to live on love and air :( What can I do to make him eat AND be out with us? we also tried having him eat WITH us outside, which he did for 2 days, but than he only wanted to cuddle again... HEEEELLLLPPPP!!! I can't have him loose weight again :( ... a very confused Mama...

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like your baby is having trouble weaning. The best way to get newly-weaned or weaning babies to eat solid foods is to scatter it around on a flat surface so they can engage in natural foraging behaviour. Try soft foods like bits of broccoli, carrot and other safe vegetables, egg & biscuit food, softened pellets or pellets ground up fine, and small seeds. For bigger seeds like sunflowers etc perhaps get some without the hard shell. Millet spray is also a good temptation food. Sit with him and pick up bits of food and drop it near him to get him interested.

Best of luck with your young 'tiel and please keep us updated on how he's doing. Hopefully he will start eating soon. Perhaps you could place his food and water in shallow dishes on the bottom of his cage; younger 'tiels tend to prefer to eat this way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much for your Input Vickitiel. I'll continue trying to "eat with him", but he did eat already well, but fell back into that Baby Stage, which he is in again :( I might have to totally ignore him, so he can get bored again and not wanting out?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts