Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I've been a member for about a month & and owner since Feb. 11th so I guess it's time to make my introduction!

My bird love affair started when my gram acquired an adolescent budgie in June 2015 which I have since received as well as expanding my little flock, but by the beginning of this year I realized my budgies prefer to interact amongst themselves and not so much with me, which quickly launched me into researching cockatiels. I was dead set on finding a whiteface as I'm planning to have just one 'tiel (for now that is) so I wanted to get my favorite mutation :tiel3: The only exception to that I decided would make and not regret is if their personality won me over- which is exactly what happened! I frequent my town's local family owned pet shop and had mentioned to the owner I was strongly considering getting a cockatiel if it were the right one, and this month it finally happened! She was told by the breeder that he is a four month old pearled baby, she had been working with him and had fallen in love with him but had me in mind if she ever let him go- SOLD! She let me have him with the cage just at the price of the bird and as soon as we were home it was love, he's the sweetest little thing and can't get enough scritches, complete heart stealer- giving him the name Cupid.

Well, after my mile long intro I have just one small question in regards to housing- I know that no side should be shorter than 18 inches, so a cage that is 18"x18"x18" would give a bit under 6,000 cubic inches, is that the minimum cubic inches per bird for comfort within a cage?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Absolutely Precious. Welcome and enjoy the pleasures of the best bird breed that exists, The COCKATIEL! My little love is named Chicken, she is a Lutino Pearl Pied, gorgeous and again hear stealer as well, hehe.

~Skye

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Welcome to you and your darling fid from Joey and me. :)

I have also heard 18x18x18 is minimum for comfort and well being. Even with that, out of cage time is important. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both, very much appreciated! :D

Where in north California are you?

I'm in the Butte County area, a bit over an hour north of Sacramento.

I have also heard 18x18x18 is minimum for comfort and well being. Even with that, out of cage time is important. :)

Cupid definitely is out as often as he can be, partly due to him currently having a small cage but more so because who could resist bidry love? :grey tiel:
I will be getting new cages for all my birds soon and I always like to go for the biggest I can, but for possible future additions to my 'tiel collection I'd really like to know- What is the cubic inches needed per bird for housing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Dear this size is about the size of cage (mine is a little smaller) for my regular Cockatiel, so stick with larger, that's better. And its good they get out a lot! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-New-Bird-Parrot-Cage-Cockatiel-Conure-32-x19-x64-Wrought-Iron-Flight-470-/281926294365?hash=item41a41ddb5d:g:rJIAAOSwBahVc1T8

~Skye

It's not so much the size of the cage I'm concerned about, the cage I end up getting will more than likely fit multiple cockatiels so the inquiry is purely for my personal reference, but more so how much space does an individual 'tiel need within any given cage?

·
Registered
150 Posts
A little smaller than these dimensions. 32"x19"x64"

This is per tiel, never should be too small. That is there whole world so make it great!

~Skye

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Verrry cute 'tiel! :love:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome! Your tiel is so cute!

·
Registered
878 Posts