Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been back and forth to my vet, we did a poo gram stain, crop gram stain, multiple x-rays with barium and nothing has shown up. This started a few weeks ago now, seemed to be very sudden. One day he was fine, then the next his poop was loaded with seed. From then on it's been variably better and worse. Lately his appetite is failing and all he wants to do is sleep, he has also lost weight. The vet gave me an antibiotic that hes going to start today in case there gram stain missed something. His diet is zupreme smart selects seed, and fresh veggies (carrots, kale, broccoli, cauliflower). I've had no luck getting him to eat pellets. I also do not know his age, as he was rescued. Please any opinions are much appreciated I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
sick cockatiel

Welcome to the forum. So sorry your bird is sick. There are a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum; I hope some of them can give you good advice. You've already taken the first step: taking you bird to the vet. I don't know what to suggest other than what you are already doing. The only thing I would recommend for any sick bird is warmth. Sending hugs and best wishes to you!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum.

Did your vet test for internal parasites? Worms, giardia etc? These don't always show up in a single fecal exam and require half a dozen or so poops to examine to pick up any trace of parasites as the eggs are passed intermittently in their droppings, hence why 1 fecal exam on 1 individual poop is not usually enough.

Please keep us updated about your boy and let us know how he's doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So he's been behaving significantly better on the antibiotics. I asked my vet and she said they tested for parasites as well and didn't see anything. I have been keeping him warm too, he has his own space heater now and I have a thermometer in his cage, it stays around 80f-83f.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's great that he's responding well to the meds. Wishing your 'tiel a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately the undigested seed in Wills poo continues. I've seen another avian vet who thinks it may be PDD. We're starting Will on anti-inflammatory now, and also doing additional poo examination just in case. If anyone has dietary suggestions to aid in his digestion I would appreciate it. Im continuing to try and get him to eat pellets, lafebers avicakes and pelletberries with little success; he only wants seed and with how much weight he is losing I don't feel comfortable taking it away. I've started giving him Harrison's faunaflora enzymes too.
I am saddened by this diagnosis and, despite it out of my control, I feel like a failure to Will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts