Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a cockiteal i got a couple months ago a couple days after i got him she was acting sick there i went to the vet culture cam back positive so they gave me meds and off i went then i went for a recheck up a month latter and they did another culture came back positive again they gave me diffrent meds again. why is this did the virus mutate or something what are the changes of it comming back for a third time.?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
What kind of virus is it?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Did they do a culture to just find out what infection it is or did they also culture for which antibiotic to use? Strains of bacteria can be resistant to different antibiotics so if they didn't culture for that then it is possible for the infection to remain.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they gave me meds and did a culture once tthey got test results they called me and said the meds would be fine and work. they they redid the culture and it still tested positive so they gave me more meds

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
You need to get more information. Please ask them what kind of bacterial infection this is, and let us know what meds they gave you. If you can get a copy of the lab results and post them, that would be really helpful.

If they did a culture then the infection is bacterial, not viral. Bacteria can be resistant to certain medications but they don't rapidly mutate like a virus.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Bacteria can be resistant to certain medications but they don't rapidly mutate like a virus.
Exactly. Whatever your baby has may be more resistant then they originally thought and that's why they had to change the meds. Sometimes it takes a couple rounds of meds to get rid of an infection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts