Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so some of you might recognize me from some of my other posts on here but I'll give you guys some background anyways.

So I've been researching for just over a year now on birds and anything related because it's always been my dream to own a bird. Now, I've actually looked into getting one and plan to get a more so adopted bird named Bird. The previous owner seems to have taken care of him well, based on the emails, but we'll see when I go meet him next week, hopefully. Here's some of his story.

Based on what I know, the only reason she is getting rid of her birds is because of lack of time. But he's on a good diet, with pellets and fresh veggies. He also has been given the freedom to fly, except for a short time when they clipped the wings back slightly when they were moving. From what she tells me he needs a bit of work. Not any bad habits, per say, just a shy bird. Her words were "I think Bird, the male has a lot of potential, we haven't really worked with him much, he's like the kid who wants to fit in the group but is to shy to, lol he's funny. I think in a good home with the proper attention he'll be a great companion."

So, before I even get him, I'm just wondering what I can do for some bonding. I have all summer which works great, and I know as soon as I get him I'm clicker training and touch training, since I can't bring myself to clip him, but need a way to get him back should he fly away. So any advice? Oh, I also have a miniature schnauzer (dog). I already know the risk and plan to leave interaction minimal between him and the bird. I think the first few days will be interesting since my dog will probably be confused as to what the new creature is then he'll ignore him, but that's another reason I need to touch train him immediately. But after a sort of foundation is built, it would be nice if the two got along. Any ideas how to kinda introduce a bird and a dog?

·
Registered
532 Posts
advise to always talk to him or in his general direction to get him used to your voice, and as for the dog/bird intro... The bird will likely freak out just make sure you keep talking to him in a soothing voice. I dont have any dogs currently living with me but we had a friend who brought his dog over and the dog is the sweetest dog and was just curious so maybe let the dog smell out the cage a bit (perhaps with out the bird in it at first ) then while the dog is not in the room replace the bird in his cage and let them sniff it out. Hope this gives an idea and good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I really don't even know how I'll do this... haaha so any advice is good advice at this point. Well... as long as it isn't stupid advice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts