Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night my husband and I starting talking about the possabilty of getting a 2nd tiel, but we are little worried that it maybe too soon. We have only had little Jive for just under a week, but he has suprised us with how well he has settled in. Jive is talking and getting more active each day.

But yes2day he has started to squak loadly when ever I left the room. When I was on the computer which is in the same room as Jive, he was fine and happily talked softy to himself.

Would it be a good idea to Jive a buddy, if so when will be the right time. We will have had Jive for a week this Saturday.

Any advice you guys could give us on keeping 2 tiels or anything you think may help us make up our minds would be a great help.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
If you do get a second tiel it will need to be quarantined in a separate cage in a different room of the house to Jive for at least 30 days, so it won't be a quick fix to his calling anyway. It will possibly make him louder during quarantine as the two birds will call to each other. :p Having two tiels is great though, and if you think you would enjoy owning two there's no reason not to go for it.

In the meantime, try calling out to Jive when he calls for you. Just a simple "hey baby, i'm right here" is usually enough to satisfy them that you're not lost and you'll be back eventually.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive started calling back to him and he seems happier. My hubby n i really like the idea of 2 tiels. Thanks Bea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We just made the move to 2 tiels after having one for over a year. She just seemed a little bit lonely to us even though she is a huge part of the family and is highly included. I just wondered if she would be happier with a second. So far it's been great. I don't find it very much more work either. They both like to be out with us alot. Our first bird isn't so excited about sharing her fave perch, other than that it's wonderful. Shocked to hear about a quarantine though. I did ask at the Petland how to introduce the new bird and they said I could put them directly in together. Too late now I suppose.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have 2 tiels and they both call me when I leave the area. I just call back to them I'm ok I'm right here and the are ok with that. If I leave the house when I get back they call loudly, excited I guess.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guess what my husband did on his way home from work. He went back to the same shop we got Jive from and out of the same group of baby tiels that Jive came from, he picked out the liitle gray tiel that we were first looking at before we choose Jive. So now we are the happy parents of two 2mth old tiels. :)

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
oh well congrats again!!!! Thats a nice combo of birds.....very different looking.....can't wait to see pics and hear his/her name!!!! congrats again!!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Good job!!! I bet they recognised each other!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts