Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that cricket sometimes makes a little clicking sound when she breathes, and sneezes often. When she sneezes, bird mucus(?) comes out, but her nose isn't runny any other time. The mucus is clear. The rim of one of her eyes is also red, and she preens a lot. Her appetite is good, and her droppings are normal. My dad said he'd make her an appointment if I wanted, but he just payed for my dog to be spayed, so I don't want him to have to pay again if it's not necessary. Do you think I should take her to the vet?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
If it were me.. I would definitely see an Avian Vet. This could possibly be a respiratory infection of some sort. She has a lot of different syptoms that I would just not let sit. Keep us updated please.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yes, get her checked out. Those could be the symptoms of a respiratory infection, and in birds this can get very serious very fast. It's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definitely will then. I don't want her to hurt :( How long do you think she'd be able to wait before her appointment? Do you think it's my fault that she got sick before she's been home even one week?

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
First off, is it all the time or certain times of the day.

What is she doing when she sneezes.

Does she preen alot? If so, with the dry winter weather (low humidity) inside as she is preening she may be inhaling some of her dander. Also if her cage is covered while she is molting, with low environmental humidity this can contribute to sneezing, and irritated eyes.

Are there any hair sprays, strong smelling perfumes (if cage is covered is there a strong fabric conditioner smell) or scented candles around her. Many times strong scents can be irritants to the sinuses and respiratory tact.

Has there been any change in her droppings?
-----------------------------

The above are some possible causes for you to go over. If none are the possible cause to her problem then it would be a good idea to visit a vet.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It isn't your fault, but transitioning to a new home is a time when they're particularly vulnerable to illness, and when anything they may have had as an underlying problem is brought out. I would honestly try to have her seen as soon as you can possibly manage it. Like I said, they can go downhill really fast, and it'll be much easier to treat if you catch an illness in the early stages. You're doing a good job being observant and getting her taken care of!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Lots of illnesses can lay dormant until brought out by stress. There is stress in coming to a new home and this is why everyone strongly suggests quarantining new birds. You never know if they have a hidden illness. Being that you've only had her a week.. I would think she might have had this brewing prior to coming to you. Someone with more expertise in that area can comment on that though.

If you are already hearing clicking noises.. I honestly would not delay getting her to the Vet. The sooner she can get on medication.. the better for her outcome.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
My vet likes to say that the most dangerous period in most bird's lives is the first 30 days after they go to a new home -- exactly for this reason. It makes them much more vulnerable to any underlying illness, AND to picking up new things. But that doesn't mean that we should blame ourselves or avoid getting new birds! It's just a time to get extra vigilant with them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks :) I just want her to stay healthy, she's not bailing out now! We're in this together for at least eight years, right Cricket? I'll be sure to keep you updated. Is there anything that I could do until the vet visit to help her?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well I'm not sure how old Cricket is.. but you should hopefully look forward to being in it together for a lot longer than 8 years.. :) My Tiels will be 3 this year and I am hoping to have at least another 15 good years with them.. if not more!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think you said in your intro that she's a baby, right? If you take great care of her, you could have 20 or even 30 years together! :)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
As far as something to help out before the Vet visit.. hmm... what do you think about Steam Enigma? Loading up the bathroom with steam from the shower? I believe I've heard of this before but I'm just not positive on this. Also, just making sure to keep her warm.. if your room is chilly, turn up the heat a bit to keep her nice and comfy.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yes, steaming could help, but don't let her actually get wet. It's not a good idea to get a potentially ill bird wet, since they then have to expend energy to stay warm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
There are no strong scents in my room or even in my house. She is preening very often, so that could be a possible cause, but she's also making the little clicky noise, which worries me. Is there another reason that she could be doing it? I noticed just now that a few of her droppings are slightly runny, and the rest are normal. Would the steam hurt her at all if she isn't sick?

·
Registered
10,879 Posts
About the clicking noise - does this seem like the sound of her breathing, or could it be something else, for example is she grinding her beak? Beak grinding is normal, it's something that cockatiels do when they're comfortable and relaxed.

If only some of her droppings are runny, that's a good sign. It can be normal for a bird to have runny droppings sometimes but there's more to worry about if ALL the droppings are runny.

Can you post some pictures of her? That would let us see whether she looks sick.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
There are no strong scents in my room or even in my house, as they trigger my migraines. She is preening very often, so that could be a possible cause, but she's also making the little clicky noise, which worries me. Is there another reason that she could be doing it? I noticed just now that a few of her droppings are slightly runny, and the rest are normal. Would the steam hurt her at all if she isn't sick?
Steam is good for them regardless. They produce a lot of dust, so steam helps them keep their noses clean. I would see if you can get her in to the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The noise is different from beak grinding, I've heard her do both. It's rhythmic too, like breathing. But it's not all the time. Her feathers aren't ruffled very often either, although she does stay at the bottom of her cage most of time, near her food bowl.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Steam may help but I would suggest the room be ready, and just go in for a minute or two.

If she has been preening alot lately she could have dander in her sinus cavities. Many times this can be an irritant to the eyes.

Listen to her back, neck, and head area to figure out where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The one up close is showing her eye, you can't really see it, but there's little red tissue almost,right next to her eye. She's not really showing any other symptoms, except for the ones I told you about. The sound seems to be coming from the base of her little birdie neck.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts