Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning of getting my lovely 1-year-old male cockatiel a wife because he feels upset when the family goes out without him (we take him with us most of the time but sometimes it's just not possible). So yesterday I found this really sweet wifey (said to be 7 months old) for him and decided to get her home.
In the pet shop, she was calm, a little scared, and really sweet. She would just nib on my finger but never bite.

Got home with her and then surprised my male cockatiel with a wifey and by now they got along well. She doesn't let him get off her eyes.

But there are a few things I realized over the day:
1) She bites HARD
2) She doesn't like hands
3) She is very vocal.

When I say she bites hard, I mean really hard compared to my male! Today she bit my dad's finger when he gently grabbed her (she wouldn't step on the hand/finger and we had to give her a bath). So she bit my dad's finger real hard and wouldn't let it go, it was bleeding. But I completely understand this part and don't consider it her fault, it's all new to her. What I find the problem to be is that my male is learning to bite (he'd never bite before)

Talking about disliking hands, when she's in the cage and I put my hand in so she can step on it and come out, she runs all around the cage avoiding the hand. This is again understandable, but again the problem is that my male is developing that too. I've managed to get her on my shoulder somehow, and she is very calm and cuddly then. She wants to just snuggle around my neck and have peace 馃槀

Lastly, about being vocal, my male is pretty quiet and calm allowing us to have a peaceful day. He is a little vocal at certain places and it's beautiful. But this new bird that I got is vocal the whole day, she sings, makes various different sounds, and is playful. I find it really beautiful but she makes sounds all day long and they are loud which can be a little hard to deal with over time and can be disturbing for our neighbors.

My parents have told me to consider returning her to the pet shop as her sound would make it hard for us. I do find her really beautiful and everything about her to be beautiful but I can't deny the fact that the sound could drive us crazy馃槀
I contacted the shopkeeper regarding my concern and he told me that it'll be fine over time.

Just wanted to know if that's the case. like will she be less vocal over time? maybe because the male isn't very vocal. or will it make my male as vocal too? are there chances of her never stopping to bite and be afraid of our hands?

Sorry, this went on to be a little long 馃槄I'm new here.

I don't know if something I said might come out to sound rude but I really love both of them and I'm emotionally attached to them. Well not as much with the new one compared to the old but yea its getting there 馃槃

Thanks in advance for your help馃挀

Registered
Hi sound like you might need to train her.do not force her to come out the gage let her come out on her own be patience. I have a male I got him from a breeder who raised them. so mine where well behaved. Pet shops do not have time to handle there birds, that is why i got mind from a breeder. Good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi sound like you might need to train her.do not force her to come out the gage let her come out on her own be patience. I have a male I got him from a breeder who raised them. so mine where well behaved. Pet shops do not have time to handle there birds, that is why i got mind from a breeder. Good luck
Thanks a lot for your reply 馃槃 I had got my male from the same shop and he was really well trained, maybe thats why i was expecting a little too much from the female. He told she is trained too, maybe i should give her time and try training her from step 1:unsure: Thanks again

Registered
I think your boy is actually a girl, and the girl you got actually is a boy.

I have a male and and a female young cockatiels, both are about 6 months old. My boy will be very vocal form 8:00 Am to 9:00 pm, he will make all kinds of sounds. My hen only make monotone noise from times to time during the day, mostly quiet. At 6 months old, boy cockatiel just starts practicing his vocal to attract the future girl friend. Right now, I don't really need alarm each morning, the boy sure will wake me up. LOL.

Usually, once, they bonded, the male will be less vocal. This was at least true to my old pair of cockatiels.

As for biting hand, a cockatiel will bite a strange very hard if he/she was grabbed by a strange. This is true to some tamed cockatiel too. And before new bird settling down, don't force bird bath.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I think your boy is actually a girl, and the girl you got actually is a boy.

I have a male and and a female young cockatiels, both are about 6 months old. My boy will be very vocal form 8:00 Am to 9:00 pm, he will make all kinds of sounds. My hen only make monotone noise from times to time during the day, mostly quiet. At 6 months old, boy cockatiel just starts practicing his vocal to attract the future girl friend. Right now, I don't really need alarm each morning, the boy sure will wake me up. LOL.

Usually, once, they bonded, the male will be less vocal. This was at least true to my old pair of cockatiels.

As for biting hand, a cockatiel will bite a strange very hard if he/she was grabbed by a strange. This is true to some tamed cockatiel too. And before new bird settling down, don't force bird bath.
I had that thought too 馃槀 but then every pet shop i took my male to, the shopkeepers there said he's a male (I was really curious so i asked) and also the vet i took him to said he's a male. Plus he's playful in front of the mirror, the new birdie doesn't really care. Also, last night while playing they tried mating and the female tried climbing the male, now idk if the male stays down or up but yea it was a little awkward seeing my baby grow up so much that he tries to mate馃槀

Also about the bath, I was worried about her as she had been in a cage with other birds, the shopkeeper had held her, the shop wasn't really that tidy, and she was preening a lot so i thought she might be feeling dirty. I just gave her a small tub of water and sprayed water at her, she enjoyed it tho馃槀

Thanks for your reply!馃槃

Registered
I feel the female is actually a boy. If you have two boys, that is not a bad situation. At least, you don't need worry about unwanted eggs and babies.

In many case, you look under wing feather spots pattern, you can sex the birds.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
馃槀
Do 2 males mate too? I read somewhere online that they do
If not, my 7 months has been a lie 馃槀 It's gonna be shocking for me that someone I believed to be a boy and someone everyone I met said to be a boy turns out to be a girl馃槀
The sad part is I got both of them from the same shop and the shopkeeper managed to mess up the gender both the times (7 months apart)馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Also, they have mated 3 times today! Is that normal? Will my birbie have babies now? I'm not ready for it

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I feel the female is actually a boy. If you have two boys, that is not a bad situation. At least, you don't need worry about unwanted eggs and babies.

In many case, you look under wing feather spots pattern, you can sex the birds.
One of the shopkeepers told me that the female has spots kinda pattern under the tail. My new tiel has it but she/he gets on top when mating

Registered
Tail patterns are good for sexing adult cockatiels in some cases, but not good for sexing young or sub adult. Wing feather pattern may give more useful info, unless you have pied birds.

Cockatiel can mate multiple times a day during the peak breeding cycle. 3 times a day are normal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Tail patterns are good for sexing adult cockatiels in some cases, but not good for sexing young or sub adult. Wing feather pattern may give more useful info, unless you have pied birds.

Cockatiel can mate multiple times a day during the peak breeding cycle. 3 times a day are normal.
I am on the verge of returning the new bird but they have been mating, will that be fine? my old bird stays on the bottom when mating so that makes it a female so will just having the female be fine? i really doubt she's a female tho

Registered
I was planning of getting my lovely 1-year-old male cockatiel a wife because he feels upset when the family goes out without him (we take him with us most of the time but sometimes it's just not possible). So yesterday I found this really sweet wifey (said to be 7 months old) for him and decided to get her home.
In the pet shop, she was calm, a little scared, and really sweet. She would just nib on my finger but never bite.

Got home with her and then surprised my male cockatiel with a wifey and by now they got along well. She doesn't let him get off her eyes.

But there are a few things I realized over the day:
1) She bites HARD
2) She doesn't like hands
3) She is very vocal.

When I say she bites hard, I mean really hard compared to my male! Today she bit my dad's finger when he gently grabbed her (she wouldn't step on the hand/finger and we had to give her a bath). So she bit my dad's finger real hard and wouldn't let it go, it was bleeding. But I completely understand this part and don't consider it her fault, it's all new to her. What I find the problem to be is that my male is learning to bite (he'd never bite before)

Talking about disliking hands, when she's in the cage and I put my hand in so she can step on it and come out, she runs all around the cage avoiding the hand. This is again understandable, but again the problem is that my male is developing that too. I've managed to get her on my shoulder somehow, and she is very calm and cuddly then. She wants to just snuggle around my neck and have peace 馃槀

Lastly, about being vocal, my male is pretty quiet and calm allowing us to have a peaceful day. He is a little vocal at certain places and it's beautiful. But this new bird that I got is vocal the whole day, she sings, makes various different sounds, and is playful. I find it really beautiful but she makes sounds all day long and they are loud which can be a little hard to deal with over time and can be disturbing for our neighbors.

My parents have told me to consider returning her to the pet shop as her sound would make it hard for us. I do find her really beautiful and everything about her to be beautiful but I can't deny the fact that the sound could drive us crazy馃槀
I contacted the shopkeeper regarding my concern and he told me that it'll be fine over time.

Just wanted to know if that's the case. like will she be less vocal over time? maybe because the male isn't very vocal. or will it make my male as vocal too? are there chances of her never stopping to bite and be afraid of our hands?

Sorry, this went on to be a little long 馃槄I'm new here.

I don't know if something I said might come out to sound rude but I really love both of them and I'm emotionally attached to them. Well not as much with the new one compared to the old but yea its getting there 馃槃

Thanks in advance for your help馃挀
I guess you need to train her. Maybe she didn't get enough train. Keep patience and try hard. Maybe yours one doesn't know how to react. And that's why she is doing this. Don't lose hope. If this tip works then please update.
P.S. She is really beautiful.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Okay so I believe the new birdie is here to stay 馃挀
In the past 3 days, I have tried taking her back to the pet shop to return her thrice and I have failed all three times. First I dressed up to go return her but then I was like let's train her and kept her, the second time I went till the car and returned cuz I felt bad, then today I reached halfway and then came back home cuz I felt really bad returning her. So yea if she came back thrice then I really believe she is here to stay馃挀
Would be really great if you guys could throw some tips for taming the new bird along with the old one. I want them both to strongly bond with me and I don't want my old one to go away from me
Thanks everyone!馃挀

Registered
Okay so I believe the new birdie is here to stay 馃挀
In the past 3 days, I have tried taking her back to the pet shop to return her thrice and I have failed all three times. First I dressed up to go return her but then I was like let's train her and kept her, the second time I went till the car and returned cuz I felt bad, then today I reached halfway and then came back home cuz I felt really bad returning her. So yea if she came back thrice then I really believe she is here to stay馃挀
Would be really great if you guys could throw some tips for taming the new bird along with the old one. I want them both to strongly bond with me and I don't want my old one to go away from me
Thanks everyone!馃挀

It takes a lot of love and patience. My little one is eager to learn new things. Now she's beeping lol

:ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
It takes a lot of love and patience. My little one is eager to learn new things. Now she's beeping lol
My older one was really really calm when I got him (I think its a her but I'm just gonna go with him馃槀) home and I was expecting something similar with the new bird. Turned out that the new bird is extremely playful and vocal she keeps making different sounds which my old cockatiel never made. She doesn't know how to step on a finger or hand yet but she's learning. She is more welcoming to toys than my older one but she doesn't really like my hand being around her and nibs it until I take it away. My older cockatiel was soooo easy to deal with I thought having a flock of 10-20 cockatiels wouldn't be a problem 馃槀馃槀馃槀

1 - 20 of 23 Posts