Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a male and female who are caged together but just wondered if it's best if I split them up. My male has always been defensive especially when he's hormonal. He's not nasty just chases off the female when she gets in his bubble, which is getting smaller. I've had him 7 years and he's bonded with me and the female I've had over a year and she's very docile. Both are tame. I was hoping she'd be good company and he'd stop thinking everyone was after him since she's so gentle but persistent. Or he'd figure out she's a good option as a mate since she's actually a bird 馃槀

I introduced them slowly and eventually left cages open ect. and they ended up always being in the same cage. They certainly aren't friends but they don't like being apart. Would separate cages be best next to each other and maybe reintroduce if they are getting close through the bars? They have plenty of room and I'm not worried my male will hurt her but she does get in his way trying to get close ALL the time.

Thanks!

Registered
Does he have a way to escape her affections if he needs to? Like going to a smaller perch to chill where there鈥檚 not enough room for two tiels? Does she get in his way when he鈥檚 hungry, preventing him from eating when he wants? Separating might be a good idea to see how he acts , they can still see and chirp to each other when caged.

Registered
One never puts a new bird in a cage with the current bird. This is a recipe for disaster. First of all you need to quarantine for at least 30 days. That means the new bird is in its own cage and in a separate room. Birds can carry many viruses and diseases and spread them to other birds. Of course your new female wont eat. She is in a strange cage with another bird she has never seen. Please give her a separate cage to herself ASAP

Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate

1 - 3 of 3 Posts