Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everone,

I bought a second cockatiel a couple of weeks ago, and at 6 weeks, she is still in the store being handfed by the owner. I had fallen in love with him and felt it was the right time to give my three year old cockatiel, Joie, a new BFF...but I'll settle for them at least tolerating eachother! In light of this coronvirus threat, I wonder if I should bring him home earlier and feed him myself, rather than risk his health in a public place. I trust the store owner completely and she said it was up to me. She has closed the store to the public and is the only one who handles my bird, but I still have mixed feelings about what's in his best interest. I don't think he needs to be handfed much longer, and he will have close watch, as I work from home. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Jan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Jan:

Any update? Did you take in the cockatiel baby?
At 6-7 weeks, it is good time to introduce variety of food, such as veggies, and human food to young bird. I have three 8 weeks babies now. Since I introduced cauliflower, and carrot to them, they love them. Their parent never will touch such such veggies. My babies are feed by parents. It seems young birds are much easier to accept new food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did bring Him/her home early! Fletcher is doing well, and I've gotten quite comfortable handfeeding him with the syringe. I'm keeping him in a separate cage in another room, and so far so good! He eats more than what I was told he he should, and he is offered seeds and millet. I would say he's about 12 weeks old so I'm trying to add other foods. I was told to handfeed for two more weeks, once a day, while giving him other things. Joie, my oldest tiel, and Fletch haven't been officially introduced but they are aware of eachother and talk to one another from one room to another. I'm glad I took him home, as my pet store closed a week later because of the virus.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congratulation!
And thanks for update! I think you made the right decision
If your cockatiel is 12 weeks old, he or she should reject hand feeding now. My babies eat very well at 8-9 weeks, only occasionally they will beg feeding from their mom. At 10 weeks they are fully on their own. In additional to seeds, I would let them try soft human food like pasta or brown rice. They beak is still pretty weak, soft food is easier for them to chew.

This is good time to introduce variety of food and set rules too. enjoy your new baby!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My new baby died last night...

.....I'm so sad today...after feeding and bonding with my new baby bird, Fletcher, who had been thriving until last Thursday when he seemed listless, not eating much, and sick, I took him to the vet...he was given beytril and nystatin, and his poop was sent to the lab. The Dr. noticed his very low weight, 60 grams, and suspected crop infection. I gave him several doses of medicine, and tried offering applesauce, tho she did take tiny amounts of formula, but yesterday she went downhill quickly, and I prepared myself for the worse. He would walk and fall over, on his back, would sit sleeping anywhere, and stopped even taking water. I took him to another vet, and was told he would need to stay in the hospital at least overnight. They were going to take tiny x-rays, and do antibiotics, but they were not able to say what was wrong. When I got home the Dr. called to say she had passed, so today I'm going back to bring her home for a proper buriel. I am heartbroken, but wonder if it was my fault, and is my other bird going to get sick too? Does anyone have any experience with any of these issues? I'd appreciate hearing from you...thank you...love your babies while you can...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts