Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So Fable and Lore came home on Friday (long story, but in short they are my two tiels that I had to put in a foster home for a year and a half while I managed myself. Now they are back with me). Lore is adjusting very well. He is talkative and friendly and affectionate, just like his old self, if not better (the girl that fostered them for me clearly favored Lore and gave him a lot of extra attention).

But Fable has changed so much since she was with me before. She and I used to be so close, so bonded. She was always my little snuggle bug. She was always the first to want to come out of the cage every morning, always seeking scritches and my undivided attention. Well, she's not like that anymore. She is very standoffish. Tries to bite me when I ask her to step up (I never force a bird to step up unless it's absolutely necessary) and when she does step up she only wants to stay with me long enough to get where she wants to go. I know that some of this could just be her adjusting to the new environment, but she just seems generally unhappy.

What distresses me even more is that she now has stress marks on some of her tail feathers, something she never had before. Fable and Lore where housed together in the same cage for the entire time they were in foster care. They've been fed the same exact diet (Roudybush pellets as their primary). Lore's feathers are perfect, so this would seem to suggest that the stress marks are from emotional or mental stress and not nutrition or health. Generally speaking, Lore and Fable get along though they are not a bonded pair. But the last couple days Lore as chased Fable around the cage several times and chased her off their cage top stand on more than one occasion. Lore used to do this back when I first got him, but that behavior eventually went away. When I asked the foster parents about this I was upset to find out that this sort of behavior had become normal between Fable and Lore. Lore doesn't really "beat her up" he just chases her around. But I can tell it causes her stress.

So to make this long post short, do you think I should give Fable and Lore separate cages? It would give each of them a space to call their own, and maybe it would help to reduce some of the stress poor Fable has been under going. This whole thing makes me so sad because I feel like I've lost my sweet baby Fable and it's really all my fault.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I probably would. If they start to get along better again then you can slowly reintroduce them to live in the same cage but right now it seems like she needs a break.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It's not your fault! I don't pretend to be an expert, but for what it's worth these are my thoughts...

I do think you should house them separately if you have seen bullying going on. In the one cage there's no room for them to be apart so Lore can cool off and Fable can escape. I also think that if you have the resources, a vet checkup could be in order for Fable. The stress bars might be from being chased around, but they might be a symptom of something else. I'd get that ruled out by a vet. Lastly, don't worry too much about Fable's behaviour yet. You're right, she's adjusting, and after all she's only been home a few days :) Things will turn out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts