Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we are waiting to bring home our little girl from the breeder. We were there yesterday and the breeder said end of next week. My question is all of these birds in this clutch have been dna tested. There are two girls and one boy. I was wondering your thoughts on adopting our babies big sister. I don't think the brother would be good because of attempted breeding. But what about two girls. Do you think its a good move? They are both hand trained but will they decide they want nothing to to with us? Are two girls usually really loud? What else am I not considering? Thanks for your input.:)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I agree that you should have two but it all depends. I would rather wait until I am bonded with that one to get another but I know some people that have gotten them at the same time (also related) and it worked out... Girls are great but I think males are really fun so you shouldn't rule him out...just my thoughts. There are always things you can do to prevent breeding-IF it ever even comes up. My girl is louder volume wise when she is in her mood but overall quiet. My male chatters all the time but not a loud volume. It all depends, all tiels are different.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Ok, we are waiting to bring home our little girl from the breeder. We were there yesterday and the breeder said end of next week. My question is all of these birds in this clutch have been dna tested. There are two girls and one boy. I was wondering your thoughts on adopting our babies big sister. I don't think the brother would be good because of attempted breeding. But what about two girls. Do you think its a good move? They are both hand trained but will they decide they want nothing to to with us? Are two girls usually really loud? What else am I not considering? Thanks for your input
I think you are making a good choice ruling out male a male. Sorry if anyone disagree's but i have the problem your thinking about. Hugs wouldn't mind making babies with his sister. He also plucks her. Its a issue you will have to deal with a long time so you really have to think about it. I never though it would come to this. I'd go with 2 hen or find a unrealted male just incase

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I don't think you would have a problem keeping two hand reared babies tame. :) They will enjoy each others company when you're not home.

·
Registered
296 Posts
We got both our babies at the same time. They are sisters. They get along great. I am glad we got them at the same time.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Do whatever you feel is right :) Some people say two is better that one. Some people have 4 or more :D I think I will just have Spike I love spoiling him :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts