Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male cockatiel named Flint that's a little over a year old. He's pretty feisty.

My schedule has been busy lately, and I am unable to spend more than an hour and a half with him before having to go to bed. Not every day is like that, but it's gotten me wondering about getting another bird. Probably another male 'tiel to keep him company on my super busy days.

Would you say your birds got happier with the addition of another bird/mate? And how would you go about introducing two birds?

:grey tiel:

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

There's no guarantee that Flint will get along with another 'tiel but on the other hand he may love to have a fellow birdie friend to interact with. You won't know until you do it so be 100% sure you want another bird because if they don't like each other you will have to keep them separate.

Always keep them in separate cages for a couple of weeks to begin with, and then introduce them in a neutral territory out of their cages. You will have to closely monitor their behaviour and body language towards each other to make sure they are compatible. You can put their cages side by side so they can see and talk to each other and let them out supervised together, slowly extending the period. Once they get familiar with each other and are getting along nicely you can house them together.

A vet check up is always recommended when getting a new bird just to be sure he isn't going to infect Flint with disease or parasites etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts