Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cockatiel is about 7 months old and already knows how to fly. The problem with that is if anything freaks him out, he'll start flying around my room and hitting himself. No, not flying into the window, he hits the wall or in some occasions, the ceiling. This bird shop charges $15 for wing clip, nail filing, and beak trim. I was wondering if I should get just two of his feathers clipped but I'm not sure if it will stress him out.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
clipping tiel wings

Hi pidgin - this is a controversial subject. I lost my first cockatiel to escape. It broke my heart. Yet, I have not clipped Bennie's wings. I love to see him fly around my little apartment. My vet tells me it is great exercise for them. I am now extremely careful about opening doors when he is out. If I have to step outside for a minute, Bennie gets locked in his cage. (That's how my first bird escaped; I just opened the door a second to shake out a throw rug)
Your bird will learn to maneuver around your furniture and other obstacles; he's still very young. Cockatiels are powerful fliers, so clipping just a couple of flight feathers won't keep him from flying. I'd say let him have his flight, just be very cautious about safety.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.