Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been shopping for a bigger cage for Larry lately as the current is really on the limit and I want him to have ample space to play when I'm away.

Now I've read about a lot of people using this cage for a cockatiel, which would be a great option for me: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000OPDFIA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

I know that some of you on this forum use this cage as I've been told in an older thread. But while reading the cage's description, I've realized the bar spacing is 3/4 of an inch, and I heard as big of a spacing can be dangerous for tiels. So how come this cage is a popular option for tiels and did any of you that use it encountered any problems or fear with it?

Should I stay away from that cage, and if so, do you guys know of any better options in a similar size?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I don't know many who have that cage. Most cages that I see are the pervue flight cages or there's another that is similar to the flight cage that is very popular, both with 1/2in bar spacing. For the larger bar spacing, I would imagine you would need smaller wire to wrap around the outside to prevent the bird from sticking it's head through the cage bars.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You can buy much cheaper cages on eBay the same size with 1/2 inch bar spacing,
Flight cages for as cheap as $80

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! This might seem expensive to you but as you might have noticed this is amazon Canada, and here in Canada cages are much more expensive than in the states! I'll definitely look into it cause I might find a better deal but it's going to be much more than 80$ I can tell you that much! Haha!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
We have a similar cage for our ringneck and it's perfect for her. (Brand is Avi-One). I wouldn't recommend this type of cage for a cockatiel because of the larger bar spacing.

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!!! That was really helpful! Never though of looking for chinchillas cages but it makes sense!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts