Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this is a little long.
I had posted a few days ago regarding Hank possibly about to lay an egg & how paranoid I was about egg binding if she did. That was the main reason I didn't want a female but he ended up being a she & I love her to death. She never had laid one before in the 4 years I've had her.

Yesterday morning unfortunately when I got up for work and noticed she wasn't eating, drinking, defecating. She kept pushing & was miserable. I had that sinking feeling because I knew she was most likely eggbound.

I called out & I ran her down to the 24 hour emergency vet because they have an exotics/avian vet. I was worried the trip alone/stress would kill her.
She was rushed right in the back. The vet called me in & said Hank was stressed but alert. She was eggbound so they kept her half the day. The vet explained first she will get sub Q fluids, calcium gluconate injection, be placed in a quiet cage with a heating pad underneath to see if she's able to pass the egg on her own. If after a certain amount of time that doesn't work then they will give her a shot of oxytocin. If that still doesn't work then she will get diazepam as a last resort then get it out/keep her 24 hours.

I left crying of course. I got a call a few hours later...The vet said the egg was out & Hank was doing well. She said the egg was right there but Hank just couldn't push it out. She decided before going to the oxytocin, she'd apply lubrication and see if she can express manually. It actually worked thank god. The egg was intact/fully formed.

I picked her up..she was exhausted and kept picking at her butt. Very upset for obvious reasons. This morning she was still not herself...I got back from work at 4pm and she was so much more herself. She ate some hard boiled egg & some butternut squash, some nutriberries, cuttlebone

The cost for everything was $321. If it was the other injections & 24 hour stay it would have been almost $500. She's my little girl & worth every penny...Of course the one thing I didn't want to happen, happened :/

Only questions I have are:
can a bird that was eggbound & treated lay another egg a few days later?

what is generally the best all around staple diet for birds to prevent this? She gets seed, nutriberries, fruit/vegs, & some table food(nothing terrible). I also have mineral blocks available- now multiple cuttlebones. I'm thinking about going the pellet route. Any supplements?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oh my gosh, I'm soo glad that Hank is okay!!

I'm not sure about the first question. I would try to get her onto some pellets in addition to what you are currently feeding her. Getting enough calcium and vitamin D is really important too - time outside in the sun should help. I'm not sure what else would help, her diet sounds fine to me and you take amazing care of Hank.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Oh my, one of my fears for my birdie hens! I do believe if the reasons for the binding was an overly large egg, or low calcium not allowing the contractions needed to push out the egg then if the conditions are corrected and their was no prolapse then she should be able to lay any further eggs she has coming down the line. However I would keep a VERY close eye on her and if there is any signs at all that she is having troubles get her back into the he vet asap!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh my gosh, I'm soo glad that Hank is okay!!

I'm not sure about the first question. I would try to get her onto some pellets in addition to what you are currently feeding her. Getting enough calcium and vitamin D is really important too - time outside in the sun should help. I'm not sure what else would help, her diet sounds fine to me and you take amazing care of Hank.
Thank you! I haven't been on this site in quite a long time but all the stickies and forum topics really help
My issue is I don't take her outside... She has her own room in the house with a cage she goes in at night(one of those xl white flight cages). Lighting has been a bit of an issue for me but I'm too scared to use a lamp type deal

I changed up her diet to kaytee supreme cockatiel seed, zupreem natural pellets(was going for lafaebers or a better brand but they were expired at Petco), & I bought a TON of vegetables to give her.

I remember you & I'm sorry about your loss of Sophie :(

Oh my, one of my fears for my birdie hens! I do believe if the reasons for the binding was an overly large egg, or low calcium not allowing the contractions needed to push out the egg then if the conditions are corrected and their was no prolapse then she should be able to lay any further eggs she has coming down the line. However I would keep a VERY close eye on her and if there is any signs at all that she is having troubles get her back into the he vet asap!!
I actually made a follow up appointment for thurs at the exotic vet. He has a lot of experience & schooling on birds from what I read online. She's still a little swollen :/ but I don't see a prolapse

1 - 4 of 4 Posts