Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. I'm Laura and I live in Vancouver, WA. I have a 3 year old female Lutino. Her name is Rosie. She has been with me, my husband, daughter and son-in-law since she was 3 months old. We have no other cockatiels.

She sleeps in the kitchen in her cage. I let her out around 7:30, refresh her food and water, give her chopped veggies or cooked pasta, etc...she is free to move around while I feed my dogs and make coffee. She eventually ends up either on my shoulder or my desk chair while I am at my computer, also in the kitchen.

We have an indoor free flight aviary with 20 Gouldian Finches living there. Rosie spends 5 hours a day in the aviary, we call it "Birdie Day Care". She doesn't interact at all with the finches and is not afraid of them. At almost exactly the 5 hour mark, she starts calling for me come and get her. She is easy to handle and very bonded to me.

About 3 weeks ago she started making a kind of flock call in the morning. She repeats this call about every 5-10 seconds. Nothing I do for her makes her stop. She can go on like this for almost 2 hours.

So, here's my question: "Is she calling for another cockatiel, the rest of the humans in the house or something else?" I'm baffled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our kitchen is an open concept area with our living room, and has 10 foot high ceilings and the cockatiel spends about 2 hours a day here. And, that wasn't the issue. The issue is sudden onset separation anxiety in the form of repetitive calls for me even if she's sitting 1 foot from me. Now, if you have any ideas to deal with that, I'd love to see them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts