Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peeko normally spends all day out of her cage with me. After I caught her trying to peel some paint off the window (a habit she just developed the last 1-2 weeks) I put her in her cage for timeout, and when I came back there was a bloody egg just sitting on the bottom of her cage.

I'm not new to breeding cockatiels but it's been quite a few years since I had breeding pairs. Peeko has never been around a male though. I know females can lay unfertilised eggs, but I've never seen one with blood stripes and splotches on it. Aside from the paint peeling and an odd whistle she's been doing the last day or two, she's still acting completely normal, walking about on the floor pecking for crumbs and climbing on her play gym. I'm not sure if I should be worried by the blood or not, I havent seen it anywhere but on the egg. I've given her some egg and biscuit formula I had and put some extra water dishes around for her while I keep an eye on her, I'm not sure what to expect from a bird that is just laying without a male.

Also, could her trying to chew and peel paint off the wall, as well as trying to chew grout from between the tiles be related to the fact she had an egg inside her? I tried giving her some more mineral treats and cuttlefish bones thinking she just wanted to chew on something hard, but she keeps going for those things.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You should probably start her on hormone control. You can read about it here: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330. I would move her cage away from the wall, even if its just far enough so that she can't access it to chew. Same goes for the grout, just keep her away from it. As far as the blood on the egg, I am not sure if its normal or not. Maybe someone else can answer that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should probably start her on hormone control. You can read about it here: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330. I would move her cage away from the wall, even if its just far enough so that she can't access it to chew. Same goes for the grout, just keep her away from it. As far as the blood on the egg, I am not sure if its normal or not. Maybe someone else can answer that.
Actually, I've been doing that sort of stuff for months now. Earlier in the year she started getting a little aggressive, and seemed like she was trying to build a nest in various places around the house, I moved her cage and started trying to shorten her daylight hours. Now that it's getting into summer (in australia) even when she's in a dark room with her cage covered she still seems to know when its morning.

This is why it surprised me so much to find an egg in there. She stopped trying to build nests and acting that way. Aside from chewing on stuff when I let her out, she'd been completely normal.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Is it her first egg? I've read that a small amount of blood is not out of the ordinary with a first egg.

How old is Peeko? Sounds like she may well have reached maturity. I'd recommend checking out the 'Sticky Library' on the forum for info and tips on hormonal 'tiels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it her first egg? I've read that a small amount of blood is not out of the ordinary with a first egg.

How old is Peeko? Sounds like she may well have reached maturity. I'd recommend checking out the 'Sticky Library' on the forum for info and tips on hormonal 'tiels.
I'm not entirely sure how old she is since the man I got her from was one who rehomed unwanted birds and he wasnt even sure, but I think she must be around 2 years old at this point. It is her first egg unless she's laid one elsewhere around the house without me noticing. She hasnt seemed to pay any attention to the egg in her cage and has completely ignored it just carrying on as she normally would wandering around the house

1 - 5 of 5 Posts