Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I have COPD and I have to use inhalers which make my hands a bit shaky. I am wondering if it would bother the tiels. Piper won't let me give him scritches, but my hand is steady holding him. Or at least it seems that way to me. He doesn't seem to mind.

Snitch was on my shoulder the other day, I sweet talked her into putting her head down for scritches. I usually use my cheek or ear to rub her little head. I actually snuck my hand up there slowly, don't think she saw it at first, but I got to give her scritches with one finger and my finger was really shakey. My hand writing stinks. No one could possibly forge my signature. :wacko:

·
Registered
670 Posts
aww hun doesnt sound good, i am sure they dont mind, my hand shock the otherday jo jo just stuck her wings out (not sure what that means) i get involantry jerks no idea why but he didnt seem to mind

·
Registered
135 Posts
My hands shake like leaves if I don't take my meds (which is often), so I've figured out a way to stop it. I sit Screech on my chest, or a flat surface, and rest my hand on it as well. I just use my fingers to give her scritches. Blizzard still doesn't like scritches too much, but he will respond to them if I keep my hand resting by his feet on something to stop them shaking too much. Just move slowly and carefully and give them a chance to get used to it.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Maybe shaky hands will add a little something to a head scratch and your tiels will realise that in time. ;) Has anyone ever seen those wire head massagers before? They're like several wire prongs coming out like fingers i guess, and you push it up and down on your scalp. :p Well you can get vibrating ones too and they are AWESOME, hehe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I kinda found out by trial and error that my teils (all 10 of them) Love to have scritches with a "toothbrush". When I handfeed I make a mess on my poor babies. I found that a soft wet (soft) toothbrush cleans them up right nicely. Well they really got to liking it. Now they will pick up the toothbrush with their little beaks and hand it to me and put their little heads down for a nice little "brush" ... maybe your little ones would like this too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts