Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does Loki shake his head when I talk to him.Even when I say shake he shakes his head lol well thats because im talking.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My Choco will do this too and she has ever since I bought her a year ago. She is due another checkup soon and I'll send her as soon as I'm out of this summer course (1 week left yay). I'll make sure to ask the vet about it.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Choco will do this too and she has ever since I bought her a year ago. She is due another checkup soon and I'll send her as soon as I'm out of this summer course (1 week left yay). I'll make sure to ask the vet about it.
Thanks its different with Rocko if I talk to him he makes the sound he does when he wants scratches.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My bird does that too. I didn't understand why he did it until I noticed he did it when he was planning to learn how to mimic what I was saying or whistling. Funny guys they are!

·
Registered
182 Posts
When my Ringo nods his head I repeat 'yes...yes...yes'. Great way of training. Pick up on their natural behaviour like when they stretch their wings and I make an open two finger gesture and say 'eagle' and now he's trained to do it. I'm trying to make Ringo understand if he nods 'yes' he can get scratches or some corn or just 'good boy' - which he now says rewarding himself which is amusing!

He also loves 'yayyyyyyyy' in an excited voice and 'so handsome'. Training is daily and a few hours a day without boring or getting angry with them. Use your birds natural behaviour to train them. They stretch - always say 'stretch'. Shake their head up and down 'yes' - back and fourth 'no'. Just have to keep it up.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When my Ringo nods his head I repeat 'yes...yes...yes'. Great way of training. Pick up on their natural behaviour like when they stretch their wings and I make an open two finger gesture and say 'eagle' and now he's trained to do it. I'm trying to make Ringo understand if he nods 'yes' he can get scratches or some corn or just 'good boy' - which he now says rewarding himself which is amusing!

He also loves 'yayyyyyyyy' in an excited voice and 'so handsome'. Training is daily and a few hours a day without boring or getting angry with them. Use your birds natural behaviour to train them. They stretch - always say 'stretch'. Shake their head up and down 'yes' - back and fourth 'no'. Just have to keep it up.
I was saying shake at first but I just stopped im not ready to train him yet.He still dosent trust me fully but he does step up and stuff and take scratches.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i looked this up a while ago and there seems to be two popular theories--your bird likes what he's hearing and might try to mimic it later or just likes the sound, or he doesn't like it. so i guess it depends on your bird and the relationship your birds have with you, if those are what's happening

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i looked this up a while ago and there seems to be two popular theories--your bird likes what he's hearing and might try to mimic it later or just likes the sound, or he doesn't like it. so i guess it depends on your bird and the relationship your birds have with you, if those are what's happening
He does it every time I speak even when I talk to Rocko.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Murray shakes her head if I speak in normal human tones, almost like the sound bothers her...but when I whistle she doesn't do it. It's strange that I came across this thread - I was looking for an explanation on google earlier today and apparently budgies do it too but nobody is sure why!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Murray shakes her head if I speak in normal human tones, almost like the sound bothers her...but when I whistle she doesn't do it. It's strange that I came across this thread - I was looking for an explanation on google earlier today and apparently budgies do it too but nobody is sure why!
Rocko dosent do it only Loki he even does it when im talking to Rocko.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I think it could be related to the different pitch of our voices. My guys shake their heads often when I make high-pitched sounds but if I'm talking normally they don't shake.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it could be related to the different pitch of our voices. My guys shake their heads often when I make high-pitched sounds but if I'm talking normally they don't shake.
Loki just does it if im talking any type of talking.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I heard they don't like the noise. Certainly looks like they don't like it. Or maybe you're just too loud or close for his sensitive ears when you're talking?

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard they don't like the noise. Certainly looks like they don't like it. Or maybe you're just too loud or close for his sensitive ears when you're talking?
Its only Loki that does it not Rocko and it wouldnt be his ears because he shakes his head when im talking to Rocko alone too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think it's just natural bird reaction to certain stuff. I see the native parrots in my backyard - rozellas, king parrots, sulphur crested cockatoos etc all doing it to each other. We as humans try to put our behaviour onto our pets but they have their own behaviour. Their own instincts.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it's just natural bird reaction to certain stuff. I see the native parrots in my backyard - rozellas, king parrots, sulphur crested cockatoos etc all doing it to each other. We as humans try to put our behaviour onto our pets but they have their own behaviour. Their own instincts.
Your from Australia cool.I would love to go to Australia for a holiday I would bring Rocko and Loki that would be a good experience for them.I say in Australia you could get any mutation cockatiel u wanted.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You can't get any mutation you want here. Many mutations are only available overseas. Plus I don't think you'd be able to bring rocko and Loki here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Your from Australia cool.I would love to go to Australia for a holiday I would bring Rocko and Loki that would be a good experience for them.I say in Australia you could get any mutation cockatiel u wanted.

We do have a wonderful collection of beautiful native parrots here. I still get a thrill feeding them in the backyard!

Haha yes as cockatiels are Aussie birds I'm sure we can!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We do have a wonderful collection of beautiful native parrots here. I still get a thrill feeding them in the backyard!

Haha yes as cockatiels are Aussie birds I'm sure we can!
One of my teachers is from Australia hes always talking about how great it is lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts