Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here, so I hope I'm doing this right!

I've searched and search and I believe I have at least some of this down! My "male" WF turned out to be female after almost 2 years of believing she was a he. My birds were housed separately, but spend a great deal of time out of their cages together, so nature happened. When I got these two I wasn't concerned with breeding so I didn't particularly question the breeder on their mutations.

She did tell me the one (now female!) was WF, and the male was pearl, lightly pied.

The first clutch of babies turned out to be 2 pearls like the father, 1 lutino, and one light pied gray. I know the pearls and lutino are females. In this batch i'm 99% sure the gray was a male because he never stopped singing or talking, just like his father.

The 2nd clutch is 4 gray, light pied. Is it safe to assume these are all males then? Or is it a crap shoot?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
All the girls will be pearl because dad is visual pearl, and some of the girls will be also be lutino.

All the boys will be grey or grey pied, unless dad has a cinnamon split that he hasn't shown you yet. It looks like mom is whiteface cinnamon and is either light pied or split pied with a lot of pied feathers on the face. If dad is split to cinnamon it will be possible to get cinnamon chicks of both sexes. If he isn't split then you won't get any cinnamon chicks.

The pied mutation isn't gender related, and neither is whiteface. Dad would need to be split to whiteface in order to get any WF chicks.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
I have a pied-gene mystery in my flock, where I get a lot of babies who have more pied feathers than you expect on a split-pied bird, but not as many as you expect on a visual pied. From what I can see of them, your pied chicks look a lot like mine. The section on pied split signs in this article talks about this conundrum: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-tielsplits.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you tielfan! Very very helpful!

One more question, since the father is pearl pied, split to lutino, would the male offspring be gray pied split to pearl AND lutino? Am i getting that right?

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
All the male chicks will be split to pearl and all the female chicks will be visual pearl, because all babies will receive the pearl gene from dad. Half of them will also receive the lutino gene from him. So half of the boys will be split to lutino and half of the girls will be visual lutino. The boys who are split to lutino will have the pearl and lutino genes on the same X chromosome - the one they got from dad.

All the chicks will be split to whiteface because they will receive the gene from mom. The boys will also receive the cinnamon gene from her (assuming that I'm right about her being cinnamon). The girls will not get the cinnamon gene from her, because sex-linked genes do not pass from mother to daughter. The boys' cinnamon gene will not be on the same X chromosome as the pearl and lutino genes that they got from dad - it will be on the X chromosome that they got from mom.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about sex-linked mutations already. But if you need any more information on how the inheritance works, I have an article here: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-sexlinked.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent articles! Thank you so much! I apparently have a pretty wide ranging mutation gene pool in these babies and i feel fortunate to have had the clutch variations to help me fill in the gaps!

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
If you keep some of your male chicks and breed them, it will get even more interesting. Some of them are split to three sex-linked mutations (pearl, lutino, and cinnamon), and there are a lot of crossovers between pearl and the other two. Crossovers are another mind-boggling genetic concept lol. If you want to read about them I have an article here: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-crossovers.html

Your daddy bird is visual pearl and is only known to have one sex-linked split, so crossovers are not an issue for him. They're only a factor when a male is split to multiple sex-linked mutations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts