Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had and bred Cockatiels for over 25 years and i learn something new all the time but today hummm.
I am selling some babies and a lady called me up today and ask what sex's was, i told her i am not sure because there both greys (the ones i have for sale), any way the lady said OH you can tell when there babies even what sex they are by how dark the orange circle is on there face. I said i never heard of this and i wait till they molt to get a idea.

The question is has any one ever heard of sexing by the color of the orange on there face, this is on greys I'm talking about but she said any color cockatiel can be sexed this way. I never heard this before, any comments ?...be happy.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
some females have a duller orange(you can see that in my siggy aswell). Not always the case tho. I could tell the sex of my babies while they were feathering in. Mine are normal greys aswell. This could have been a lucky guess but i don't think so. Hugs always has yellower face so thus i claimed him to be male and sure enough he is

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i have seen this as well, but i dont think its reliable all the time i also seen many times it didn't work. I do how ever think there are times this may work but the lady said she can tell any tiel like this 100% of the time. I guess you do learn something new every day after all...be happy.

Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
799 Posts
you can do it this way but only with normal greys and maybe some of the dark variations with orange cheek patches with lutinos it dosnt work.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I guessed that Spike was a male because he was chriping on my arm and his crest was really full and bright yellow. I guess I got lucky and guessed right. I do tend to perfer male pets though.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I have heard that as well you can tell by the cheek patches, its not accurate if it was my Georgie would be a male...lol she is a female normal grey she had bright cheek patches when I got her and yellow on her face and I had a few people including the breeder say that they thought she was a male, they were wrong...lol
They also say you can tell even with young by the wing dot method and again it was wrong in my case, its all just an educated guess and when one person gets it right on a guess they think the method works all the time.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I have heard that as well but by no means is it 100% accurate. Baby had pretty bright patches and her face went through a very yellow stage before she matured so...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
THere are many ways. Like the wing dot sexing. Mine according to what they say from the wind dot way are male and female but it has also been proven to not to be accurate. Also Send away DNA testing is also not always 100% accurate. This was posted else where but smoeone send away one of those DNA kits and it came back male. Soon enough this male was laying eggs. Its really hard to tell in some cases unless they lay eggs and not all hen will.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I wouldn't say it's reliable in any way. My lutino Gracie has the brightest check patches ever, several people have sworn she's male from them, but she's female. Her bright orange cheek patches even out do Bailee's. :eek:

I've had people be able to accurately guess gender by the shape of the head, but i guess you would have to know what you were looking for there too.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I've had people be able to accurately guess gender by the shape of the head, but i guess you would have to know what you were looking for there too.
This I found to be true and I use it. With babies it might be tougher to tell since they are not mature enough. Boys seem to have boxier heads then girls. Also comparing Baby with Ziggy not only does his head have a more sqare shape but his cheek bones are different.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
LOL!!! Sounds like we're talking about model's here. I think what this person told me was that females have squarer heads with flatter tops, and males tend to have rounded heads. I've found this to be true with my guys. :)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I never paid attention to there heads then again I never knew what to look for, I am going to check that out and see if I spot the differences between them :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts