Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a tiel from my friend. A little bit clueless about the gender though. I believe he/she is a pied cinnamon (CMIIW). Here's the pics

Anyone?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bright red cheeks... No barring that I can see... I would guess male, but others would know better than me...
My question is, is he always puffed up like that? Or is it just this picture?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Bright red cheeks...
It doesn't work like that in pieds. They all have those cheeks no matter the gender.

Pieds are impossible to sex visibly. Is there any clues to the parents mutations from your friend?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I thought I might have saw a little bit of barring in a tail feather, but it was tucked behind some of the others. Any way you can get us a picture with the tail fanned out?

Other than that, what about behavior? If the bird talks and sings then it is likely a male. I've also noticed (though this is just in my experience, it may be wrong) that females tend to have a more high pitched chirp. Males also are usually more independant and outgoing, while females are clingier and more shy. This isn't true for all of them, but if you've got an outgoing bird with no barring who sings then it's likely a male (or a really masculine female :lol:).

The only way to tell 100% for sure is through a blood test. I've seen it happen before where a bird showed all the symptoms of one gender and the blood test proved it was the other. You can guess through sexing, though.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yep, your best bet will be to get a DNA test done. It's an easy and relatively inexpensive process.

This is mine:

Cinnamon pied. Bright red cheeks and no tail barring. She is a 1 year old DNA certified female.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I thought I might have saw a little bit of barring in a tail feather, but it was tucked behind some of the others. Any way you can get us a picture with the tail fanned out?
For any other mutation this would be true but in a pied this doesn't matter. Male pieds can keep tail barring for years. My Fuzzy was only split to pied and he kept his pearling and barred tail feathers for over two years.

Behavior is a good way to tell but if you've never been around tiels before a DNA test is the best way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thx guys for the input. Just ask my friend that it's a she. And by observing it's behaviour I 'm 80% sure it's a she.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts