Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! :D

Well, soon, my dream of bringing home a baby tiel is very possible to come true! :D I've finally been able to slightly convince my father of letting me buy myself a weaned baby.

I work at First Flight Exotic Birds and my boss has agreed to let me take home one of the hand-fed hand-reared (same? lol) just-weaned tiels if I buy a specific cage (20% off) with supplies (40% off)

These baby tiels are suprisingly very friendly and doesn't really run or try to escape! :p

So, anyways... the questions :eek: (I've looked them up here and on tiel sites, but I figure asking tiel owners would be even more beneficial!)

1. What is the minimum size for a tiel's cage? Also, because I'm no pro at cage measurements, can you please explain which measurement means which? :eek: (example: 45 width, 45 length, 45 deep or something like that ;))

2. I'll be buying tiel seed and pellets at the store, along with the cuttlebones, mineral bones, etc. My question is, are there specific vegetables that tiels should eat? I notice lentils here and there.

3. Are there any hints to look for in the tiel to determine sex? Or are they too young to be sexed? The tiels at the store are probably 7-8 weeks. I'm leaning more towards a male... but either is perfectly fine!

4. I know that budgies can get attached to their cage. Is this also likely for tiels? Should I let the tiel get use to me before the cage? (That's what I usually do with my budgies and it works great, thanks to Bea for giving me the idea :))

Well, those are the basic questions that I'm still being a little paranoid about. I've been wanting a tiel for ages and I'm just so excited and want to do everything right. :)

I don't think I'll have a problem with training. I've been working with these tiels for a little while and all of them know how to step up and shoulder perch, all that jazz. :)

I'd appreciate your answers!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
1. What is the minimum size for a tiel's cage? Also, because I'm no pro at cage measurements, can you please explain which measurement means which? :eek: (example: 45 width, 45 length, 45 deep or something like that ;))
Minimum in my opinion would be a flight cage no smaller than 18" high, 18" deep and 30" wide. You can play with those measurements a bit but that's about the size you will want. I was told when i was buying a cage to take a barbie doll, and put it in the cage, because that's approx. the space the tiel will take up. LOL!! I didn't actually do this, but i kept that image in my head. They need to be able to perch without mashing their crest against the roof, or their tails against the bars.

2. I'll be buying tiel seed and pellets at the store, along with the cuttlebones, mineral bones, etc. My question is, are there specific vegetables that tiels should eat? I notice lentils here and there.
If your budgies can eat it, so can a tiel. Their dietary needs are the same. :)

3. Are there any hints to look for in the tiel to determine sex? Or are they too young to be sexed? The tiels at the store are probably 7-8 weeks. I'm leaning more towards a male... but either is perfectly fine!
With normal coloured tiels, you can't tell until after their first moult (about 6 months old). With many other mutations there is no visual way to tell. Behaviour is a better guide. Males are noisier, will whistle and chatter, and they've got a very "look at me" attitude a lot of the time. I remember that when i first got Bailee we took him to the vet and he was dancing around in his cage, squawking and chirping, wanting to come out. The vet said, "i reckon you've got a boy, look at him showing off" and he was right.

4. I know that budgies can get attached to their cage. Is this also likely for tiels? Should I let the tiel get use to me before the cage? (That's what I usually do with my budgies and it works great, thanks to Bea for giving me the idea :))
I used the same taming methods for Cookie and Bailee that i used for Ozzie, it worked well. You do want to be careful that a tiel doesn't become overly attached to you though. In the first few days home you have to resist the temptation to play with it constantly, and only have it with you for an amount of time you will be able to maintain long term.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Are there any hints to look for in the tiel to determine sex? Or are they too young to be sexed? The tiels at the store are probably 7-8 weeks. I'm leaning more towards a male... but either is perfectly fine!
This might have been a fluke but i was able to tell hugs and slushes gender at a very young age. we said hugs was a male because his face had a lot more yellow in it then slush. Both are normals only slush is split for pied. But like i said could just have been a lucky guess.

·
Banned
105 Posts
1. What is the minimum size for a tiel's cage? Also, because I'm no pro at cage measurements, can you please explain which measurement means which? (example: 45 width, 45 length, 45 deep or something like that )
I would say 18 width, 18 height, and 30 length would be the bare minimum for one cockatiel. And the bar spacing you can have is 5/8 or 1/2 of a inch.

It's the same as all birds. So Just give them whatever you give your budgies. :) Most tiels adore broccoli. :) (Just a tip)

Easiest way is to look on the under part of their tail, if has a pattern like lines or whatever than it's a female, if has no pattern then it's male. Also with normals females usually have light washed out orange cheek patch, where as males you can really notice it. It depends on the mutation. There's other techniques too, but the tail thing is the easiest because it works on almost all mutation except for lutino or albino... i'm actually not sure how you sex those then... maybe i'll look that up now. Also males are A LOT louder than females generally. Though they're both fairly quiet for birds. I think male is about the same loudness as budgie.. maybe a little louder. And female they are very quiet, they do chirp but not as loud and as often.
4. I know that budgies can get attached to their cage. Is this also likely for tiels? Should I let the tiel get use to me before the cage? (That's what I usually do with my budgies and it works great, thanks to Bea for giving me the idea )
I think all birds can have that problem, i think if you follow the same training steps as you did with your budgies it should work fine.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Easiest way is to look on the under part of their tail, if has a pattern like lines or whatever than it's a female, if has no pattern then it's male. Also with normals females usually have light washed out orange cheek patch, where as males you can really notice it.
Just wanted to say that this is only for adults, and normals and probably pearls too. All normal/pearl babies will look female (with the bars and pale cheeks), this wont change till they moult.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Some good questions and answers here that will help me will my research, so thankyou! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts